[handiham-world] Courage Kenny Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 13 November 2013

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 14:45:40 -0600

Courage Kenny Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 13
November 2013

Courage Kenny Handiham System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply
email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.
You can listen to this news online.

MP3 audio:
 <http://www.handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Subscribe to our audio podcast in
iTunes

Failing the Technician

A quick path to failure is to make an all too common mistake...

Cartoon guy carrying study books

Here's the scenario:  An eager young man shows up at a VE session, ready to
take that first step into Amateur Radio by passing the Technician exam and
getting a callsign. He has studied and feels prepared.  The exam is only 35
multiple choice questions covering a subject he knows well from having read
through the study guide several times. It won't be hard to get the required 75%
passing grade, 26 questions or more correct.

Shortly after settling down at an exam table, he starts working his way through
the test booklet.  It seems odd, but some of the questions seem to be out in
left field - there are topics he doesn't recall from the book.  Other questions
are worded differently than he remembers them, but he can take an educated
guess at the answer.  When it's time to turn in the exam materials for grading,
he doesn't feel quite so confident.

Waiting outside the testing room isn't easy.  Finally the door opens and a
volunteer examiner approaches him.  There's no big smile on the examiner's face
as he gets the bad news:  he's failed the Technician exam and will not join the
ranks of ham radio operators, at least not today.

What went wrong?  He had studied, putting a lot of time and effort into the
preparation for this examination. He'd taken plenty of other tests before and
knew how to study.

The volunteer examiner felt bad, too.  She asked him about his studies.

Had he studied prior to the exam?

Yes.

Had he taken any on line practice exams?

No, he didn't know about the websites that offered such a service.  His rural
location had poor internet access and all of his computer time was spent at
school or the public library, mostly for homework.

The volunteer examiner had an idea. "Did you bring your study guide along with
you?", she asked.

Yes, he had the book along, and pulled it out of his backpack and handed it to
the VE.

As soon as she saw the book she recognized it - a popular study guide that was
published in 2001.  No wonder this young man had gotten so many questions
wrong.  There had been many rules and regulations changes in the past decade
alone, and the question pool was completely different.  Even the questions on
electronics were reworded, with many new ones chosen to replace older ones on
any given topic of radio safety and theory. Since he didn't take any on line
practice exams, he didn't find out that the questions in his book were long out
of date.

Does this sound like a made-up story?  Well, I did make up this scenario, but I
based it on a real-world incident that is being discussed right now on an
Amateur Radio instructor forum. The young man and his disappointing mistake are
real.  The discussion forum is parsing the reasons why such a thing could
happen: Old books lingering on library shelves, books handed down from someone
else and used past their expiration date, ignorance of on line practice exam
resources, and more.

There's a special reason I'm writing about this today.  Later on this evening
I'll be part of my own club's VE team, the same team that fields exams at our
Handiham Radio Camps. Like all of our team members, I'm eager to see new hams
walk out of our test session, smiling as they carry their CSCE's and thinking
ahead to how they will set up their stations.  Some will be there for upgrade
exams, and they too will be thinking of new frequencies to use and perhaps
which HF gear to consider to accommodate their new goals of DX operation or
contesting. Believe me, no one wants to see newbies succeed more than the VE
team members.  I love to give out good news when I step out of the exam room to
see a candidate who is awaiting his or her results.  And it's really hard to
give out bad news.  You can't help thinking about your own experience with
studying and taking exams, and how you felt when you passed or failed, then
finally passed and got your license.

What advice do you give to a candidate who didn't make it?

Job one is to identify the problem and make helpful, positive suggestions on
how to correct it.  You are there to help the candidate succeed.  It is best to
avoid being judgmental, so instead of telling the candidate that he should have
looked at the forward pages of the study guide to determine that it was out of
date or that he should have known about practice exam sites, it is far better
to simply suggest a current study guide and write down the web addresses for
some good practice exam sites.

The next thing to do is to assure the candidate that yes, an Amateur Radio
license is well worth the effort and that they can - and will - pass the
examination, given the right preparation.  This is a good time to have some
practical information ready to hand out to the candidate:  A list of upcoming
VE sessions, practice exam websites, and suggested study guides. If time
allows, you might also make some suggestions about how to study, especially if
the candidate indicates that certain concepts were really difficult to master.

I hope that tonight's session is a good one.  I love to give out "good news",
but I've done this long enough to know that some candidates might not pass.  If
that happens, I'm ready.

From K3ZK via Yahoogroups:

*       "Below is a link related to the voice chip which can be added to the
Kenwood TS-590. This site explains in great detail the accessibility added by
Kenwood to the TS-590. The new voice chip can be programmed to read just about
every function on the transceiver including ALC levels, Compression levels, SWR
reading and much, much more along with all basic settings. So if you are using
the 590 it's well worth visiting this site to enhance your operating. If you're
visually impaired you will be able to set up and program without sighted
assistance."

http://raibc.org.uk/equipment-reviews/view/kenwood-ts-590-review/

What happened to Mars?

*       NASA Science News for Nov. 12, 2013 reports that "Mars was once on
track to become a thriving Earth-like planet, yet today it is an apparently
lifeless wasteland. A NASA spacecraft named MAVEN will soon journey to Mars to
find out what went wrong on the Red Planet."
*       VIDEO:   <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etL2ZhqGNCs>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etL2ZhqGNCs
*       FULL STORY:
<http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/12nov_maven/>
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/12nov_maven/

From Active-Elements:

·         Dave Marthouse, N2AAM, has done a review of the
<http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/> RT Systems rig programming software on the
Active Elements site. Go to http://active-elements.org/ and find the
evaluations & reviews section, then go to software and the RT Systems
programming software accessibility review.

WA0CAF likes an article about why "ransom ware" is so dangerous and how to
protect against it:

·         Find it on the howtogeek.com website.
<http://www.howtogeek.com/174343/ransomware-why-this-new-malware-is-so-dangerous-and-how-to-protect-yourself/>

Support Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute on November 14 for Give to the
Max Day:

Your gift will be matched dollar-for-dollar up to $15,000!   What's new?
Courage Center and Sister Kenny Rehabilitation Institute merged in June to form
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute.  Please visit
<http://www.couragecenter.org/MAX> www.couragecenter.org/MAX on November 14 to
participate in this philanthropic day.   Why Give on November 14?  Join in the
excitement across the state on Minnesota's largest day of online giving!  Your
donation will be matched dollar-for-dollar up to $15,000.

Ham Radio on Facebook:

How many ham radio clubs, organizations, and publications have Facebook pages?
Plenty!  Last week we directed you to the ARRL Facebook page.  We'll provide
that link again, add the CQ Magazine page.

*        <https://www.facebook.com/ARRL.org> https://www.facebook.com/ARRL.org
*       https://www.facebook.com/CQMag

Be sure to pay a visit to the Worldradio Online Facebook page, where you'll be
greeted with the cover photo of Handiham volunteer instructor Larry Huggins,
KA0LSG:

*       Link to Worldradio Online FB Page
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/WorldRadio/109332849085718?rf=110393202315327>

Library of Congress MYLOC.gov website to be transitioned to LOC.gov

*       The myLOC.gov site will close and its assets will move to loc.gov on
Nov. 19, 2013. On its loc.gov site and in social media settings, the Library of
Congress is developing new technologies and using new strategies to better
serve your needs and deliver our content to the public. Many links to myLOC.gov
properties will expire after Nov. 19, and some will be redirected to pages on
loc.gov. Current my LOC accounts and my Collection content will be removed. If
you have any questions on this transition, please contact us here:
<http://www.loc.gov/help/ask-contactus.php>
http://www.loc.gov/help/ask-contactus.php Thanks for your patronage of the
<http://www.myLOC.gov> www.myLOC.gov site, and visit our online exhibitions at
<http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/> http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/.

(Library of Congress)

  _____

Practical Radio

pliers and wire

Considering feedlines

I remember an old story about a TV repairman who was called to a customer's
home to fix a TV set. The complaint was that the set didn't get any programs,
only a snowy picture.  The repairman quickly identified the cause: the antenna
feedline was disconnected, lying in back of the set.  After the feedline was
connected, the set worked fine, bringing in several stations clearly.

When the repairman asked the homeowner about the disconnected wire, the reply
was, "I thought if the signal could get all the way from the TV station to my
antenna, it wouldn't have any problem getting from the end of the wire into the
TV set."

It seems funny to us, but perfectly logical to a consumer who didn't really
understand how feedlines work.  Nonetheless, we cannot assume all amateur radio
operators will necessarily understand feedline basics, either.  I'd say it's
safe to assume that all of us understand that the feedline actually has be
connected to work.

But after that?  Well, it's not a sure bet.

For example, I've heard stories about operators who tried to save money by
installing RG-58 coax (the thin stuff) and then regretted doing so after they
fired up their linear amplifier and also fired up their coax, melting it.
Others have used the lossy RG-58 for runs of over 100 feet, expecting it to be
just peachy for use on the 70 cm band.  Too bad they were not aware that the
loss in that kind of cable is almost 10 dB, severely attenuating the signal on
both receive and transmit.  Others have some RG-11 lying around and use it to
feed an inverted vee, blissfully unaware that the 75 ohm to 50 ohm mismatch
guarantees a higher SWR than they expected. In extreme cases where long runs
are combined with mismatched impedances, the loss can be staggering!

Generally speaking, you cannot go wrong buying low-loss feedline with the
correct power handing capability if you do some research and don't cheap out on
price.  One web resource to check out for coaxial cable types and their general
characteristics is http://www.hamuniverse.com/coaxdata.html.  Another useful
site is actually a loss calculator that allows you to choose the cable type
from an extensive pull-down menu and then put in details of how you plan to use
it: http://timesmicrowave.com/calculator/.  For example, I chose RG-58 cable
with a run of 100 feet at the local repeater frequency of 444.65 MHz.  The
attenuation is 9.9 dB.  Another excellent calculator site is at:
http://www.saarsham.net/coax.html.

This is not to say that you should never use RG-58.  It is thin and very
flexible, making short runs between pieces of equipment practical.  The loss
over a short run is negligible, and the convenience of having easy to route
flexible hookup cables is much appreciated - as long as you don't run high
power through a long piece of it! (A short run may handle high power but I
don't recommend trying it.)

For really low loss, consider 450 ohm ladder line.  The trade-off is that it's
harder to work with, cannot be secured to a metal tower leg without standoffs,
and is prone to collecting ice and now in the winter as well as to whipping
around in the wind.  It also requires impedance conversion at both ends and is
difficult to bring into the house from outside unless you make the conversion
to coaxial cable with a weatherproof balun outside and run through the wall
with coax.  Using http://www.saarsham.net/coax.html I checked a run of 100 feet
of ladderline at 14.2 MHz and found the loss to be only about a quarter of 1
dB.  That means if I put 100 watts into the cable at the transmitter over 94
watts will make it to the antenna.

A final consideration is where the feedline will be used.  If you intend to
bury it, you should consider cable designed for "direct bury" rather than using
standard grade cable.

Remember, choose the right feedline for the job and remember to connect it at
both ends!

This is practical radio.  Use what works for you.

If there is no net control station during any scheduled net time, just go right
ahead and start a round table discussion.

TMV71A transceiver

all of our net control stations!  What will Doug, N6NFF, come up with for his
trivia question tonight? Will it be a brain-buster or a softball?   Tune in and
see how you do with the question this week, or just check in to say hello.  I
won't be around since I have the VE session tonight and I'm counting on the
rest of you to get Doug's check-in numbers way up there!

We maintain our nets at 11:00 hours daily relative to Minnesota time.  Since
the nets remain true to Minnesota time, the difference between Minnesota time
and GMT is -6 hours.  The net is on the air at 17:00 hours GMT.

The two evening sessions are at 01:00 GMT Thursday and Friday.  Here in
Minnesota that translates to 7:00 PM Wednesday and Thursday.

The official and most current net news may be found at:
<http://www.handiham.org/nets>

Pat shows off his new Plantronics USB headset!

It's time to test our knowledge by taking a dip in the pool - the Amateur Radio
question pool, that is!

Let's go to the Extra Class pool and examine a question about feedlines:

E9E10 asks, "Which of these choices is an effective way to match an antenna
with a 100-ohm feed point impedance to a 50-ohm coaxial cable feed line?"

Possible answers are:

A. Connect a 1⁄4-wavelength open stub of 300-ohm twin-lead in parallel with the
coaxial feed line where it connects to the antenna

B. Insert a 1⁄2 wavelength piece of 300-ohm twin-lead in series between the
antenna terminals and the 50-ohm feed cable

C. Insert a 1⁄4-wavelength piece of 75-ohm coaxial cable transmission line in
series between the antenna terminals and the 50-ohm feed cable

D. Connect 1⁄2 wavelength shorted stub of 75-ohm cable in parallel with the
50-ohm cable where it attaches to the antenna

The correct answer is C. Insert a 1⁄4-wavelength piece of 75-ohm coaxial cable
transmission line in series between the antenna terminals and the 50-ohm feed
cable. Did you know that you can use coax as an impedance transformer?  It's
true!  The 75 ohm coax that comes packed with Butternut vertical antennas is
1/4 wavelength long on 20 meters to provide just that kind of transformation.
It's about 11 feet 4 inches long, which is a 1/4 wave allowing for velocity
factor - but that's another chapter for another day.

Please e-mail  <mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
to comment.

Cartoon robot with pencil

Office closed on Friday, 15 November 2013

·         Our office is closed on Fridays through the end of the year.  We are
also going to be closed for a long Thanksgiving Day holiday 21-24 November.

Digests

*       Worldradio Online for November has been completed by Bob Zeida, N1BLF.
Thanks, Bob!
*       QCWA Journal audio for November is in the members section and also be
available from the QCWA website.
*       QST digest audio for November is now available in DAISY for our
Handiham members.
*       CQ for October is also available.  There is a delay in the November
issue.
*       Jim Perry, KJ3P, and Ken Padgitt, W9MJY have kindly done the volunteer
recording.
*       Magazine digests are ready for our blind members in the members
section.  Digital NLS cartridges are already out.

Remote Base News

W0EQO station in the server room at Courage North.

Both Handiham Remote Base internet stations W0ZSW and W0EQO are on line.

*       200 watt operation is restored on 160, 80, and 40 meters for Extra and
Advanced Class users on W0ZSW.

·         Outages: Outages are reported on
<http://handiham.org/remotebase/station-status/>
http://handiham.org/remotebase/station-status/.

*       Band conditions: Check
<http://handiham.org/remotebase/station-status/>
http://handiham.org/remotebase/station-status/ for a current HF conditions
report from G4ILO.

Operating tip:  Find out how to tell if the remote base station is already in
use if you are using JAWS:

*       Listen to the tutorial:
 <http://www.handiham.org/audio/remotebase/W4MQ_status_JAWS.mp3>
http://www.handiham.org/audio/remotebase/W4MQ_status_JAWS.mp3
*       Read the tutorial in accessible HTML:

<http://handiham.org/remotebase/2013/03/05/check-station-status-with-jaws-13-or-14/>

http://handiham.org/remotebase/2013/03/05/check-station-status-with-jaws-13-or-14/

Pat holding up NLS digital cartridge and mailer
Don't care to download Handiham materials via computer? This digital cartridge
and mailer can bring you Handiham audio digests each month, plus we have room
to put the audio lecture series or equipment tutorials on them, too!

*       If you have trouble logging in, please let us know.
*       All Daisy materials are in zip file format, so you simply download the
zip file you need and unzip it so the Daisy book folder can be accessed or
moved to your NLS or other Daisy player.
*       Tip: When in the Daisy directory, it is easy to find the latest books
by sorting the files by date. Be sure the latest date is at the top. The link
to sort is called "Last Modified".
*       You can also find what is on a web page by using CONTROL-F.  This
brings up a search box and you can type a key word in, such as "September".
You may find more than one September, including 2012, but you will eventually
come across what we have posted for September 2013.

*       Our thanks to Bob, N1BLF, Jim, KJ3P, and Ken, W9MJY, for reading this
month.   <http://handiham.org/drupal2/user> Look for these DAISY materials in
the members section.

Digital mailers are important: If you do mail a digital cartridge to us, please
be sure that it is an approved free matter mailer. Otherwise it will quickly
cost us several dollars to package and mail out, which is more than the cost of
the mailer in the first place. We don't have a stock of cartridges or mailers
and not including a mailer will result in a long delay getting your request
back out to you.

DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your call sign should be on both the cartridge and the
mailers are available from  <http://www.aph.org> APH, the American Printing
House for the Blind, Inc.

Digital Talking Book Cartridge, 4GB, Blank; Catalog Number: 1-02609-00, Price
$13.00

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Mailer Catalog Number: 1-02611-00, Price: $2.50

Order Toll-Free: (800) 223-1839.

The Library of Congress NLS has a list of vendors for the digital cartridges:
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/cartridges/index.html>

Get it all on line as an alternative:  Visit the DAISY section on the Handiham
website after logging in.

Cartoon robot with cordless phone

Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone number changes, or email
address changes so that we can continue to stay in touch with you. You may
either email Nancy at  <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or call her at 763-520-0512.  If you need to use the
toll-free number, call 1-866-426-3442.

Handiham Program Coordinator Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at
<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or by phone at

The Courage Kenny Handiham Program depends on the support of people like you,
who want to share the fun and friendship of ham radio with others. Please help
us provide services to people with disabilities.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at
<http://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3> Handiham Weekly E-Letter in MP3 format
Email us to subscribe:
 <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 <mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:
 <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

contact Handihams for help joining the ARRL. We will be happy to help you fill
out the paperwork!

ARRL diamond-shaped logo

The weekly e-letter is a compilation of software tips, operating information,
and Handiham news. It is published on Wednesdays, and is available to everyone
free of charge. Please email  <mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
your old email address and your new address.

 <http://handiham.org> Courage Kenny Handiham Program