[handiham-world] Courage Center's Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 3 September 2008

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:12:43 -0500

This is a free weekly news & information update from Courage
<http://handiham.org/> Center's Handiham System. Please do not reply to this
message. Use the contact information at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxx Listen in MP3 audio:

 <http://www.handiham.org/audio/handiham080608.mp3>
http://www.handiham.org/audio/handiham080608.mp3

Get this issue as an audio podcast:
 <http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham> http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

 Pat with headset microphone <http://www.handiham.org/images/patmike.jpg>
Welcome to Handiham World!

Photo: Pat, WA0TDA, with headset microphone

My wife Susie and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary today. What
a fine and patient lady she is for putting up with my ham radio hobby all
these years!

Since I am out of the office today, we will go right ahead with Avery's QTH,
and we plan to return with the usual audio lectures in this Friday's
educational mailing.

  <http://handiham.org/images/avery_paper.jpg>

Welcome once again to my Humble QTH:

Minnesota Radio Camp, in the tall Pines, is now over for another year. What
a camp this was. Many of the people who were just a voice on the radio were
right there in person talking to each other and having meals with each
other. It was so peaceful and quiet in the early mornings and late in the
evenings that one could hear the Loon out on the lake and the raccoons
fighting over some fish they caught. Above, high in the sky ,circled an
eagle. The mist burning off the lake made it look as if we were on some
science fiction planet in Star Trek or some other Science fiction show.
During the day time , however, it was a different story as the radios were
running full blast and the classrooms were going strong with people learning
Amateur Radio to get or up-grade a license. For those with a license there
were operational skills classes to learn proper procedures on the air. For
practice we checked into both the PICONET on 80 meters and the Handiham net
on the N0BVE repeater ( Node 89680 ) every day using Echolink. People on
both nets were nice enough to let us take over as net control so everyone in
operational skills class had several turns at being net control. It would be
very safe to say that everyone in the operational skills class will feel
right at home checking into their local net when they get home or even
taking over as net control if necessary.

One of the interesting activities that took place was a "Fox Hunt" Two
transmitters were hidden by our camp engineer, Lyle, K0LR, and people
attempted to find them. Well, to make a long story short, no one located
them. Lyle did too good of a job of hiding them. People were very close at
times and must have gone by them several times with out locating them. There
were some odd signal bounces off cars and other objects which made it a bit
confusing as to where the actual transmitters were.

Even though sometimes the wind was causing some rough water and the boat
captains kept the boats in there were times when the winds died down and the
boats were out on the lake. Ah! The Icom IC-718 on the pontoon boat was used
on 80 and 20 meters. They even checked into the PICONET on 3925 and became a
net first. It was a first time a boat checked into the net. And! to top that
off the boat even talked to the people in the operational skills class on
HF. VHF was used before.

For a break some people took a field trip over to Itasca State Park (about
15 miles away ) to visit the Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi River. The
water is only about ankle-deep and you can walk across it in about 4 or 5
steps. It is very clear and clean at that point. The bottom can be easily
seen. Also, some of the group went into the town of Lake George to look
around and purchase items to take back home.

Can't believe some of the talent of some of the Amateurs at camp. In the
evening, for example, we had our own guitar and piano concerts.

For those that wanted we had go to people to teach the Kenwood TH-F6A ,
TM-V71A, and the TS-2000.

The week just seemed to fly by and before you know it it was the last full
day of camp and time for the VE's to give those that wanted it the exams.

Until next time 73 es DX de K0HLA Avery

You can reach me at: avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxx

Or call my direct line at 763-520-0515.

  _____

This week at Headquarters

Courage Center is open this week, but Jerry and Pat are all taking vacation
days after the long radio camp week.  We apologize for any delay in
answering e-mail and telephone calls. Pat returns to work Thursday,
September 4, but is at meetings all day long.

We will return to the full e-letter format next week.

***

The September WORLDRADIO and QST audio digests are available for our
members. Login to the member section of the Handiham
<http://handiham.org/user> website and find the magazine digests in the
Library. The September QST and Worldradio magazine digests have been read by
Bob, N1BLF.  We also hope to add CQ Magazine digest in the September audio
for our members who do not use regular print.

We have added an "audio this week" link at the top of the member page once
you log in. This is a good place to find out what audio is new on our
website each week, including magazine digests and audio lectures.

***

Avery's schedule changes: Avery is now out of the office on Tuesdays. This
helps save transportation costs and energy!

***

Stay in touch!  Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone number
with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxx or call her
toll-free at 1-866-426-3442. Mornings are the best time to contact us.

  _____

 Cartoon guy with toolkit <http://handiham.org/images/bd06227_.gif>

Elmer has started a blog! You can find it at:
<http://www.handiham.org/node/123>
http://www.handiham.org/node/123

You can write to Elmer with your questions: <mailto:elmer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
elmer@xxxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

 Huge alligator grabbing Pat, WA0TDA
<http://handiham.org/images/alligator.jpg> Reminder:  Handiham renewals are
now on a monthly schedule - Please renew or join, as we need you to keep our
program strong!

Image: Meet our new dues collection agent! A huge alligator grabs Pat,
WA0TDA.  "Sure wish I'd renewed my Handiham dues sooner."

For years Handiham membership renewals were done each July. This year, we
are going to a monthly system.  If you renew in March, your membership goes
until the following March, for example. You will have several choices when
you renew:

Please return your renewal form as soon as possible. There is a postage paid
envelope provided, and you won't get a visit from you-know-who.

email: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxx

*       You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxx

That's it for this week.
73 from all of us at the Courage Handiham System!

Reach me by email at:  <mailto:patt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
patt@xxxxxxxxxxx

*       Nancy, Handiham Secretary: hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxx

*       Jerry, N0VOE, Student Coordinator: jerry.kloss@xxxxxxxxxxx