[handiham-world] Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 30 January 2013

  • From: Patrick Tice <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:35:44 -0600

*Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday,
30 January 2013*

Handiham System <http://handiham.org/>. Our contact information is at the
end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in
subscriptions or to comment. You can listen to this news online.

*Welcome to Handiham World.*Do ham radio your way

[image: IC-706 showing 1.902 MHz]

Here's a picture for you:  Think of a transceiver, a small one, tuned to a
160 meter frequency.  The one I'm thinking of is an Icom IC-706 M2G, which
makes sense because I have that very radio right here in my ham shack and I
can use it on any band that it's capable of covering.

In my ham radio career that has not always been the case.  Like you, I had
radios that were capable of covering multiple bands, but I couldn't use all
of them.  Perhaps I hadn't installed an antenna for that band because it
wouldn't it into my yard or because I just didn't know much about the band
- the six meter band, for example. These days I am lucky to have a big
enough back yard to have space for antennas, and even though they are
modest by most standards they do allow me to get on every band that the
radio covers.

Lots of my fellow hams are stuck in the ham radio doldrums because they
live in places where antennas are either not practical or simply not
allowed. Stealth antennas are sometimes less than ideal, and indoor
antennas come with the baggage of RFI and RF exposure limitations. Going
mobile or portable might be options, but both can be really inconvenient,
and many Handiham members don't drive.  Still others have at least some
room for antennas but could never think of getting on a band like 160
meters because antennas for that band are hundreds of feet long.

So that's a problem.  You want to get on the air, but the deck is stacked
against you because of the antenna situation.  What do you do?

Thankfully, the answer is at hand.  You can now get on the air using a
remote base HF station, and do so with newly-updated W4MQ software, thanks
to Stan, W4MQ, who allowed us to use his code to make updates, and to Jose,
KK4JZX, who did the heavy lifting on the new software coding. Our software
team of testers also deserves thanks!

This special edition of your weekly e-letter will describe the remote base
stations and how to set them up. Operating a remote can open up new HF
bands for you, and you don't even have to venture outdoors to throw a wire
up into a tree!

Notice!  We have new software as of 29 January 2013.  Please upgrade as
soon as possible <unsaved:///w4mq_client_software.htm>.

[image: Screenshot: Web transceiver setup screen, version
6.1.0.200]<unsaved:///w4mq_client_software.htm>
This is a screenshot.  Please go to the client installation page for the
new software.

*Stan Schretter, W4MQ, wrote the W4MQ Internet Remote Base software and was
a recipient of the ARRL Technical Innovation Award.  This software, offered
as a free service to the amateur radio community, allows  users to control
an Internet accessible 160m through 70cm amateur radio station, provided
the host station covers those bands.*

*The W4MQ software has been tested on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 and
8 32 and 64 bit. It does not run on any other operating system, though we
think it may run under WINE in Linux. Your reports on this may be sent to
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx. *

* Handiham Stations: <unsaved:///handiham_stations.htm>*  These pages refer
to the setup for the two Handiham Remote Base stations W0EQO and W0ZSW.
Both stations are available to Handiham members as a member
service. Everyone is welcome to try the stations on receive.  This may be
done by licensed amateurs using EchoLink.

*Would you like to try the stations right now?*

*Echolink operation: *

*If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to listen to the
radio, you can search for W0ZSW-L, node 524906, and connect. Entering a
frequency and pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's
receive frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper
sideband, Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is
that EchoLink control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only
available if there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base
software.  W0ZSW is located in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. *

Don't forget about our station at Courage North, in far northern
Minnesota's lake country. If you would like to connect to the station via
EchoLink to listen to the radio, you can search for W0EQO-L, node 261171,
and connect. Just as with the other station, entering a frequency and
pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's receive
frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper sideband,
Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is that EchoLink
control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only available if
there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base software.

*Guest Receive Operation via W4MQ software: *

The stations can be operated in a receive only mode by using the W4MQ
software.  The username is "GUEST" with a password of "1234".  Please note
that the W4MQ software must be installed and configured as shown in the
W4MQ Client Software page. *
* <unsaved:///w4mq_client_software.htm>

* W4MQ Client Software: <unsaved:///w4mq_client_software.htm> *This is
where you want to begin if you are interested in what the whole remote base
thing is about, or if you are interested in installing the software to use
someone else's existing remote base station via your computer.

* W4MQ Host Software: <unsaved:///w4mq_host_software.htm> *If you want to
set up your own station as a remote base that can be accessed from the
internet, you will need the Host software.
------------------------------
Remote Base Health Report for 30 January
2013<http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/remote>
[image: W0ZSW remote base station showing TS480HX, power supplies, tuner,
and computer] <http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/remote>

*Remote Base health report: W0EQO is on line. W0ZSW is on line. *The radio
at W0ZSW is a Kenwood TS-480HX.* *The radio at W0EQO is a Kenwood
TS-480SAT. Speech readout of frequency is available on both radios for our
blind users and is enabled by default.  We have included a "widget" on
solar conditions from G4ILO on the website.  Please visit
http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/remote and report to us if the widget is
screenreader accessible.

Users are asked to upgrade their software immediately!
http://handiham.org/remotebase/
------------------------------
Correspondence:

[image: cartoon robot with pencil]

Handiham NCS Mike, W1MWB, writes:

Do you remember the old days of ham radio when you could turn on a scanner
or your VHF radio and tune to a repeater and there would always be activity
on it, all hours of the day? There were local QSOs between hams, and
autopatch calls, and you would always have someone to talk to.

To quote KB5UJM, "Nowadays the repeaters are dead because no one is
talking, because no one is talking, so no one is talking."

Robert, KB5UJM, of San Antonio Texas, is working to bring back the old days
and make his repeater the busiest repeater on the air. He has EchoLink on
the repeater as well as an autopatch and reverse patch system. If you want
to call a specific person on the repeater, you could dial a number, and a
special access code and the repeater would signal for that operator to
answer. The autopatch allows you to dial any ten digit phone number. Robert
believes that this technology is still useful because when all other
systems go down, amateur radio will still be going strong.

You can listen to activity on Rob's repeater and learn more by going to:
http://www.qsl.net/kb5ujm/repeater

It is my belief that utilizing systems like Echolink and other VoIP systems
will bring more people back to the VHF/UHF repeaters.

I hope you can use this in your e-letter/newscast.

Thanks & 73,

Mike, W1MWB
Wells, Maine
Ken, KB3LLA, likes the URL of the new Victor StreamĀ®:

http://www.humanware.com/microsite/stream/index.html
...and Pete K1PXE, writes about RFI hunting:

I almost forgot but here is another noise source. I have been getting a lot
of line noise this past year. Sometimes, it does go away. At the end of the
VHF contest I noticed something that sounded something like line noise
except it had a bandwidth of only 100 kHz or so and it happened to be
centered around 50.125 MHz at that time. Well, I knew it wasn't line noise.
Over the next few days, it moved down the band a bit. I tried the easy
things like turning things off in the shack. Finally, I routed the 6 meter
antenna to my upstairs antenna so I could shut off the main breaker for the
shack. That didn't do it. I kept thinking what it might be and suddenly it
hit me. I grabbed my IC-502 and ran upstairs and ran into my bed room and
the noise got louder. I pressed the power button on the Victor Reader
Stratus and turned it off and the noise went away. The Victor Reader
Stratus from Humanware is a desk top daisy book player with a disk drive.
It draws a lot of power especially when you play a CD, so I leave it
plugged in to the ac adapter most of the time and often I don't bother to
press the power button to turn it off when I'm finished using it. Well, you
can bet that practice will change from now on. Yes, it took me a few days
but that was because I didn't try very hard. Finally, I got mad enough to
put a real effort into finding the problem and I was successful.

73, Pete K1PXE FN31KE
------------------------------
Handiham Nets are on on the air!

[image: TMV71A transceiver]

*We are on the air daily at 11:00 USA Central Time, plus Wednesday &
Thursday evenings at 19:00 USA Central Time.  *

*The official and most current net news may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets *

*Join us on the Thursday evening Handiham Radio Club TechNet. * The
frequency in the local Minnesota repeater coverage zone: 145.45 FM,
negative offset with no tone and 444.65 MHz with 114.8 Hz tone in the Twin
Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul Minnesota. The UHF repeater will be
heard more easily in the Eastern Twin Cities.  You will find our daily net
on the air at 11:00 hours USA Central Time, with a Sunday roundtable
session for a change of pace. A Wednesday evening session at 19:00 hours
USA Central Time also offers a chance to take a guess at a trivia question
(offered by some Net Control Stations) and visit with your friends on the
air. Ideal for those who can't make the daily morning session! Then
Thursday evening at 19:00 hours return to the Tech net and learn something
new.

*EchoLink nodes:*

*Welcome to the NX0P repeater,  146.685 with a tone of 100Hz,  Echolink
node number 513917.  The NX0P machine is near Albert Lea in far southern
Minnesota, near the busy intersection of US Interstate highways 90 and 35. *

*HANDIHAM* conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity
node.)
*VAN-IRLP*, node 256919
KA0PQW-R, node 267582
KA0PQW-L, node 538131
N0BVE-R, node 89680

*Other ways to connect:*

*Let's go to the Technician Class pool: *

T1E10 asks, "What type of control is used when the control operator is not
at the station location but can indirectly manipulate the operating
adjustments of a station?"

Possible answers are:

A. Local

B. Remote

C. Automatic

D. Unattended

This is an easy one - B, Remote.  I just referenced it to remind you that
remote operation is considered in our rules and regulations.

[image: Giant alligator grabs Pat, WA0TDA]

KJ3P, and his recording of the DAISY materials this month, I asked Jim for
a brief bio of himself.  We were wondering how he came to be such a
professional-sounding reader!  Here is his response:
*Jim Perry, KJ3P - Brief Bio

   - Licensed (Novice) in 1958.
   - TV/Radio Engineer & Announcer in Philadelphia, Boston, Hartford (1964
   to 2010), now retired
   - Volunteer Reader: Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind and
   Dyslexic)
   - Started as a "DJ", but found out quickly that a local DJ's salary
   wouldn't pay the bills for a growing family. When the local station's Chief
   Engineer decided to leave, I put my ham radio technical experience to good
   use, plus a lot of studying at home, and obtained an FCC First Class
   Radiotelephone license (required in those days to work on a broadcast
   transmitter). Been a two-trick pony ever since (technical plus voice work).
   - Favorite Job: Chief Engineer and Mid-day host at Philadelphia's
   Classical Music Station, WFLN(FM) (now defunct).

*The February digest is underway.*  Check it out in the members section for
the latest Daisy digest. Meanwhile, all January DAISY files are available
in the DAISY section of the website following member login. Please let me
know if you have trouble using the DAISY files, because this is an
important member service and we want you to take advantage of it. Thanks to
Bob Zeida, N1BLF, for the Worldradio Daisy audio and to Jim, KJ3P, for the
QCWA Journal and help with QST.

*Service notice: *We are going to keep the podcast service. Thanks for your
input!
**

*Another member service is the audio lectures for Technician, General, and
Extra.  *All courses are available on line for your use whenever you want
to study or review. Teaching is done with thoughtful attention to
descriptions for those who are blind, and we promote understanding concepts
rather than simply memorizing the question pool.  If you would like to use
this service but do not understand how, please contact us.  We can also put
the audio lectures on your DAISY digital NLS cartridge if you prefer that
method instead of downloading or streaming audio from the website. Our
latest audio lectures cover concepts in the Extra Class course. Please join
us in whatever course you need, and also please let us know if you would
like a specific topic covered in our Operating Skills lecture series.
*

Don't forget that Courage Center is a registered non-profit and your gifts
to Handihams are tax deductible.  We appreciate your support!
*

*Net information and news: *The official and most current net news may be
found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets

*Change in address for equipment donations:  *Please contact Pat, WA0TDA,
before making any donation of equipment. My phone number is 763-520-0511
and my email address is pat.tice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The address is now the
same as our postal mailing address. This should simplify our contact
information.

*Courage Center Handiham System
3915 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN  55422*

*Digital mailers are important: *If you do mail a digital cartridge to us,
cartridges or mailers and not including a mailer will result in a long
delay getting your request back out to you.

*DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers*, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your callsign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc. <http://www.aph.org/>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Catalog Number: 1-02610-00, Price: $12.00

cartridges:

[image: Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

Handiham Manager Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert, KD0LPX, at
763-520-0532 or email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

format <http://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit Handiham.org <http://handiham.org/>