[handiham-world] Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 27 February 2013

  • From: Patrick Tice <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:26:19 -0600

*Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday,
27 February 2013*

Handiham System <http://handiham.org/>. Our contact information is at the
end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in
subscriptions or to comment. You can listen to this news online.

*Welcome to Handiham World.*New release of 6.20200 remote base software
brings back CW!

[image: Screenshot of w4mq client 6.20200]

We lead off this week with a report on what is happening with the Internet
Remote Base project.  Thanks to Jose, KK4JZX, for the following report:
It’s here! 6.20200
Yes, folks, another update to the Web Transceiver client. Another milestone
achieved! Want to have 200 watt support, well we have it and we want you to
try it on W0ZSW. Much more robustness, well, we have it, thus you benefit!
Welcome to the new and improved remote base client. One short month brings
lots of fixes for version 6.2 of the client. Give it a try, and you will
find that the new client boasts some nice improvements. You asked, we
answered! Take advantage of a very new version of web transceiver with
improved default browser support. Yes, you are reading correctly, we have
implemented default browser support. For those of you who wanted the client
to launch your default web browser, well you got it, try it now!

How about CW support? Well, it was always there but we simply overlooked
one coding error and finally fixed it for version 6.2. Our good friends can
now continue using CW as the CW filters have been fixed.

Update as soon as possible to take advantage of the new and improved Web
Transceiver. If you find something wrong, just e-mail us. We can tell you
that your request won’t go into the bit bucket. The sooner you report
issues, the sooner issues will be fixed. So, what are you waiting for? Get
yourself to the new download page and get the latest version of web
transceiver. Once you update, you will officially be at version 6.2.0.200
and you can begin taking advantage of some of the new and improved Remote
Base client features.

We wish you the very best of luck, 73 : KK4JZX
The future of the W4MQ remote client is bright. We hope that, as we
continue to enhance this client, we are able to provide value. Look for the
following enhancements as we move forward:

1. Screen Reader Accessible versions of W4MQ
2. Support for new versions of Skype
3. Better support for hot keys within the client
4. and much much more!

Happy operating - From The Handiham Remote Base Client Team!

The Remote Base health report for today is a good one: W0EQO and W0ZSW are
both on line and there is only one scheduled outage for mid-afternoon at
W0ZSW, where the rig control computer will need to be rebooted for updates
from Microsoft.  Please join me in thanking our remote base team volunteers
for their wonderful effort!  Read more and download the new client at the
remote base website:
http://handiham.org/remotebase/

Correspondence:

[image: cartoon robot with pencil]
Jose, KK4JZX, writes about the Thursday Tech Net:

*I want to thank all those folks that joined us on the TechNet last night.
It was truly amazing. We had a very interesting scenario in which there is
a Plasma television. The issue was that every time the operator keys up,
the TV freezes and has to be reset. There was an incredible amount of
discussion surrounding this topic. We had other topics of course but it was
truly amazing. Join us next week as we discuss many other Amateur Radio
related technology topics.

73,
Jose – KK4JZX*

Gord, VA3WXA, wrote WEATHER RADIO LISTENERS NEWSLETTER NET IRLP REFLECTOR
CHANGE:

*As has been mentioned in a past issue, Gord, VA3WXA has started a
newsletter and a net on IRLP on Saturday evenings to go along with it. It
was on IRLP reflector 9034 up until December 8th and since then it is now
on IRLP reflector 9038. You can also connect to it via Echolink VE3ZHR-L
591897. The Weather Radio Listeners Newsletter Net meets on Saturday
evenings at: 8:00 PM AT, 7:00 PM ET, 6:00 PM CT, 5:00 PM MT and at 4:00 PM
PT. The main focus is on Weather Radio but we are also open to talking
about SKYWARN and other related topics. We have recently started a
roundtable section after taking check ins and any weather or Weather Radio
related topic is fair game. The latest issue of the newsletter is now out
and there is a lot of material that may be of interest to most people. The
section devoted to SKYWARN and CANWARN is getting some interest from the
National Weather Service and Environment Canada, with this issue discussing
Superstorm Sandy and even an article on the North American Ice Storm of
1998.

If you aren't on the mailing list already and you would like to join, send
an email to blindgordie@xxxxxxxxx.

Since the last article on this topic we have had 2 new recipients thanks to
this weekly newsletter and hopefully there are more of you who are reading
or listening to this that are interested.

Thanks & 73,
Gord, VA3WXA*

Ken, K3FMK, found a bunch of ham radio related apps for Apple devices:

*Hello! Here are just a few ham radio apps I found for the Apple iPod
Touch, iPad Mini, iPad or iPhone:

Antenna Array
Antenna analyzer
CQ Roll Call Insight (Seems to be some sort of newspaper for ham radio
operators.)
Echolink (For the iPod Touch and the iPhone.)
Elevation (Current elevation GPS and Map in meters or feet)
Frequency Counter
Ham (iPhone ham radio app)
Ham Dashboard (iPhone ham radio app) $2.99
Ham Radio Handbook (Good reference for ham radio!)
Ham Square (iPhone ham radio app)
Ham Tracker (iPhone ham radio app) $2.99
HamIAm (Good reference for ham radio!)
HRO (Ham Radio Outlet)
iPTT (Push To Talk)
iSDR (Receiver covering 7179.7 kHz to 7222.0 kHz)
Maidenhead (Latitude, Longitude and Maidenhead within 100 meters)
My Altitude (Coordinates (x2), Altitude, Metric and English, Barometric
Pressure)
Q Codes
QST (Digital version ARRL magazine)
SICE Telecom
Air GHz! Advanced Radiolink Calculator
Skype

If memory serves me correctly, many were free from the App Store! When I
checked with the App Store for "ham radio" apps, the total came to 199.
But, I only managed to check out about 125. Although many were free, or
$0.99 and a little higher, I did find one at $24.99. Can't remember the
name, but I think it had something to do with repeaters. I hope this
selection works reasonably well for you and when you check the App Store,
you find more that will fit your needs!

73 de K3FMK, Ken *

*Editor's Note:  Thanks for that list, Ken.  There are some great ham radio
apps out there!*
------------------------------
Handiham Nets are on on the air.

[image: TMV71A transceiver]

*We are on the air daily at 11:00 USA Central Time, plus Wednesday &
Thursday evenings at 19:00 USA Central Time.  *

*The official and most current net news may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets *

*Daily sessions:*

   -

   *Monday through Saturday 11:00 AM social net with designated net control
   station. *Everyone is welcome to check in.
   -

   *Sunday morning 11:00 AM informal Roundtable with no net control station
   or designated topic. *Check in with your friends and enjoy a Sunday
   morning chat!

*Evening sessions:*

   -

   *Wednesday evening* *Handiham Radio Club Social Net with a trivia
   question.* This is a friendly, directed net with a net control station
   and the opportunity to answer a trivia question,  if you wish.
   -

   *Thursday evening Handiham Radio Club TechNet, a directed net with a net
   control station for the purpose of discussing technical topics in amateur
   radio. *If you have a question or a technical problem, check in and
   report it to the net. Perhaps you will find an answer in the ensuing
   discussion, or perhaps you will be able to answer someone else's question
   about a technical issue.

*EchoLink nodes:*

*Welcome to the NX0P repeater,  146.685 with a tone of 100Hz,  Echolink
node number 513917.  The NX0P machine is near Albert Lea in far southern
Minnesota, near the busy intersection of US Interstate highways 90 and 35. *

*HANDIHAM* conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity
node.)
*VAN-IRLP*, node 256919
KA0PQW-R, node 267582
KA0PQW-L, node 538131
N0BVE-R, node 89680

*On the 220 MHz band: *223.94 negative offset, Arden Hills, MN Tone 100 Hz
- KA0PQW (link)

*Other ways to connect:*

[image: Pat shows off his new Plantronics USB headset!]

*Let's go to the Extra Class pool and look at a question about logic:*

E7A10 asks, What is a truth table?

Possible answers are:

A. A table of logic symbols that indicate the high logic states of an
op-amp

B. A diagram showing logic states when the digital device’s output is true

C. A list of inputs and corresponding outputs for a digital device

D. A table of logic symbols that indicates the low logic states of an op-amp

Wikipedia tells us that "...A truth table is a mathematical table used in
logic—specifically in connection with Boolean algebra, Boolean functions,
and propositional calculus—to compute the functional values of logical
expressions on each of their functional arguments, that is, on each
combination of values taken by their logical variables..." and that "truth
tables can be used to tell whether a propositional expression is true for
all legitimate input values, that is, logically valid."

You may not be thinking "logic" when you think about studying electronics,
but it is at the core of the subject these days, thanks to the common use
of digital devices.  Turning again to Wikipedia, we find that "Boolean
algebra is the sub-area of algebra in which the values of the variables are
the truth values true and false, usually denoted 1 and 0 (respectively)."

So what this means is that we can have electronic switches - lots of them -
in different states of on or off and in millions of different
combinations.  Make a circuit out of these things and pretty soon you have
yourself a nice amateur radio transceiver!  So what IS a truth table?  It's
answer C, A list of inputs and corresponding outputs for a digital device.
As we design a circuit, we look at a need presented by the circuit, then we
choose a digital device that can satisfy that need.  To do this, we use
truth tables.  The truth table allows us to figure out what happens in a
solid state logic gate by showing us the options of what happens at the
device's output when certain conditions are present at the input.

So it might go, "If two inputs are both positive (or "on" or "high" or
whatever you want to designate the off/on state), then the output will be
negative (or "off" or "low" or whatever you want to designate that on/off
state.)  But if only one input is high and the other is low, then what
happens at the output of the solid state gate?  That is what the truth
table will tell you. It is what you will use to pick the gate you need to
make your circuit do what you want under the conditions you call for.

You can find out more about Boolean logic and truth tables in your Extra
Class study manual, and on Wikipedia.  Now that's logical, Mr. Spock!

This week @ HQ*

*We had a report that the audio podcast was not titled for the past three
weeks.  *I have been unable to identify why this is a problem as the
metadata is included in the MP3 file and the podcast does show up on
iTunes.  However, this particular user was getting the podcast via Juice.
If anyone can suggest a solution please contact us.
**

*The DAISY digest for our blind members is in production for March.  Our
thanks to Bob, N1BLF, Jim, KJ3P, and Ken, W9MJY, for reading this
month.  *Watch
for these DAISY materials in the members section on Friday.
**

*Spring Break!  *The Handiham office will be closed March 8 through 12 for
Spring Break.  This office closing does not affect other Courage Center
programs and services.

*[image: View of the great room in a typical camper cabin.]
*Photo:  The great room in a typical wheelchair-accessible cabin at Radio
Camp. Each cabin sports a complete kitchen for snacks and a laundry.
**

*Radio Camp application packets will be ready for mailing in late March. *2013
camp dates call for arrival on July 28 and departure on August 2.  We have
confirmed that we will offer our campers who pass Technician at camp
brand-new handheld radios. Radio camp will emphasize ham radio fun and
getting on the air.

We will feature:

   - Technician beginner small group class - Get your first license and get
   on the air!
   - General Class study group for those who need a quick review before
   taking the General exam.
   - Extra Class study group for those who need a quick review before
   taking the Extra exam.
   - VE session conducted by SARA, the Stillwater (MN) Amateur Radio
   Association, on Thursday, August 1, at 1:30 PM.
   - Operating Skills small group get on the air sessions and discussions
   - Extra Class seminar for those with Extra Class licenses who want to
   participate in more advanced technical projects and discussions
   - Several stations to operate, including maritime mobile on the camp
   pontoon boat with Cap'n Bill, N0CIC
   - Sailing with Skipper Bill, K9BV
   - Handiham Radio Club meeting and elections
   - Dining in the nearby newly-remodeled Woodland dining hall.
   - Fun in the sun during Minnesota's excellent summer season - at Camp
   Courage on beautiful Cedar Lake!

For a Radio Camp application, email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
call her at 763-520-0512.

*Our scheduled Extra Class lecture this week will cover the next section as
we continue the topic of digital logic, and it will be available on Friday
afternoon if all goes well. *All courses, Tech though Extra, are on line
for your use whenever you want to study or review. Teaching is done with
thoughtful attention to descriptions for those who are blind, and we
promote understanding concepts rather than simply memorizing the question
pool.  If you would like to use this service but do not understand how,
please contact us.  We can also put the audio lectures on your DAISY
digital NLS cartridge if you prefer that method instead of downloading or
streaming audio from the website. Our latest audio lectures cover concepts
in the Extra Class course. Please join us in whatever course you need, and
also please let us know if you would like a specific topic covered in our
Operating Skills lecture series.
**

*Handiham net information and news: *The official and most current net news
may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets

*Digital mailers are important: *If you do mail a digital cartridge to us,
cartridges or mailers and not including a mailer will result in a long
delay getting your request back out to you.

*DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers*, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your callsign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc. <http://www.aph.org/>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Catalog Number: 1-02610-00, Price: $12.00

cartridges:

[image: Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

Handiham Manager Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert, KD0LPX, at
763-520-0532 or email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

format <http://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Return to Handiham.org <http://handiham.org/>