[handiham-world] Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 13 February 2013

  • From: Patrick Tice <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:16:51 -0600

*Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday,
13 February 2013*

This is a free weekly news & information update from Courage Center
Handiham System <http://handiham.org/>. Our contact information is at the
end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in
subscriptions or to comment. You can listen to this news online.

MP3 audio stream:

Get this podcast in iTunes:
<http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406>
http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406

http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham
------------------------------
*Welcome to Handiham World.*How about an on the air challenge?

[image: USB desk microphone by LCD screen showing W4MQ software running.]

Yes, it is mid-February and the weather is totally rotten here in
Minnesota, so that means that we need to look at indoor activities.  Don't
even get me started on how "winter" and "fun" don't make any sense when
used in the same sentence.  I am not a fan of snow and ice.

So I got to thinking, "What if we issued a challenge to our readers and
listeners - something that would get people on the air - using our Internet
Remote Base stations?"

I came up with "The 50 State Challenge".  Of course you have heard of the
famous ARRL award for working all states.  Perhaps some of you have already
achieved this worthy goal, or maybe you have even "worked all states" on a
single band.  There are enough variations on WAS to keep you busy and on
the air for years.  The challenge is to work every state in the United
States, logging the contacts and obtaining verification.  If, for example,
you decide that working all states on whatever frequency band is available,
you could work Iowa on 75 meters some morning easily using the IRB
stations, which are located here in Minnesota. Then you could snag Hawaii
on 15 or 20 meters. It would be a good way for a newcomer to the HF bands
to learn the characteristics of different wavelengths - how the skip zone
changes by time of day and through the seasons, and as solar activity waxes
and wanes. Picking up both Iowa and Hawaii on 75 meters is a lot more
challenging, though.  Working all the states on a single band kicks the
challenge up to a whole new level.

We have several goals here:

   1.

   Increase on the air activity.
   2.

   Build a solid user base for the remote base Internet stations.
   3.

   Introduce an activity that can help Handiham members learn about HF
   propagation.
   4.

   Build operator experience and confidence.
   5.

   Provide a challenge that will be exciting and fun for Handiham members.

What do you think about issuing such a challenge, and providing a
certificate for those who complete it? Perhaps this can be a Handiham radio
club activity. It is something that could be administered by the club and
actually operated by a group of volunteers so that no one person would have
all the responsibility for the ongoing project. There would have to be some
rules written up and it would have to be decided how contacts would be
verified. I know that we have some Handiham members out there who have
experience with this sort of thing and could either help or advise. Perhaps
we could also have some kind of award with a certificate for working all 50
states on the Handiham EchoLink conference.  This would provide an
opportunity for our Technician Class licensees to learn basic operating
skills as they try to collect all of the necessary contacts to earn the
award.

Please let me know what you think about this idea. Of course, it will take
some time to get things implemented and even more time as people get on the
air and learn how to operate and log contacts. Winter will turn into Spring
and Spring into Summer and before you know it will be Autumn and Winter
again. It will take time to collect your QSOs, so we will have to be
patient and make this a year-round activity that is pretty much open-ended.
The nice thing about it is that it provides a goal to reach for while
encouraging the use of the remote base stations and the Handiham conference
server. It will provide a learning opportunity for HF newbies as they
experience short-wave propagation across different bands at different times
of the day and year. It will teach patience and build operating experience,
and those things will stay with you always, as you enjoy Amateur Radio.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham Manager
------------------------------
Reminder:  We have new W4MQ Client Software.  Please upgrade as soon as
possible <http://handiham.org/local/blind/w4mq_client_software.htm>.

*Guest Receive Operation via W4MQ software: *

   - The stations can be operated in a receive only mode by using the W4MQ
   software.
   - The username is "GUEST" with a password of "1234".
   - Please note that the W4MQ software must be installed and configured as
   shown in the W4MQ Client Software page.
<http://handiham.org/local/blind/w4mq_client_software.htm>
   *
   *

*W4MQ Client Software:<http://handiham.org/local/blind/w4mq_client_software.htm>
*This is where you want to begin if you are interested in what the whole
remote base thing is about, or if you are interested in installing the
software to use someone else's existing remote base station via your
computer.

*W4MQ Host Software:<http://handiham.org/local/blind/w4mq_host_software.htm>
*If you want to set up your own station as a remote base that can be
accessed from the internet, you will need the Host software.
------------------------------
Remote Base Health Report <http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/remote>
[image: W0ZSW remote base station showing TS480HX, power supplies, tuner,
and computer] <http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/remote>

*Remote Base health report: W0EQO is on line. W0ZSW is on line. *We are
testing a new beta software version that allows the full 200 Watt operation
on W0ZSW.

*Scheduled outages: none*

Please visit the Remote Base Health Report for any notices of scheduled
outages.

Users are asked to upgrade their software immediately.  The new software
fixes response time lags, and we are sure you will find it to be much
better than the old version.
http://handiham.org/remotebase/
------------------------------
Correspondence:

[image: cartoon robot with pencil]

*Dick, WA0CAF, likes a website entitled "Guidelines To Make Accessible
Documents" from Portland (OR) Community College:*
<http://www.pcc.edu/resources/instructional-support/access/>

   - http://www.pcc.edu/resources/instructional-support/access/

*Ken, KB3LLA, likes "Link to Video That Gives Tips on Completing and
Strengthening Your NASA Internship Application": *

   - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilkNreouUZU* *

*Remote Base software development leader Jose, KK4JZX, writes:*

   - Please join me in welcoming Joe, N3AIN, to the Remote Base Beta Team.
   We are very excited that Joe decided to join us. Joe is an Extra Class
   license holder and will help us in beta testing the Remote Base client.
   This team is truly talented and experienced. I am sure Joe's experience
   will add tremendous value to our team.

*Editor's Note:* We are looking for a few good volunteers to assist us on
this project. If you are willing to help and have the qualifications listed
below, please contact Pat, WA0TDA, at handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to be
considered. A member of the IRB Beta Testing Team should:

   - Be able to work and problem-solve independently when necessary, taking
   note of issues and logging them for communication to the group.
   - Know how to communicate clearly within a group while working toward a
   goal.
   - Have above-average computer skills.
   - Have solid amateur radio operating experience and knowledge of bands
   and modes of operation.
   - Have access to a sound-enabled computer system running the Windows
   operating system
   - High-speed Internet access.
   - Be willing to have their name, callsign, and email address shared
   within the group. (The discussion takes place by email in most cases.)
   - Be willing to share a Skype name and/or phone number with the group
   for group voice conferences if necessary.

------------------------------
Handiham Nets are on on the air!

[image: TMV71A transceiver]

*We are on the air daily at 11:00 USA Central Time, plus Wednesday &
Thursday evenings at 19:00 USA Central Time.  *

*The official and most current net news may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets *

*Daily sessions:*

   -

   *Monday through Saturday 11:00 AM social net with designated net control
   station. *Everyone is welcome to check in.
   -

   *Sunday morning 11:00 AM informal Roundtable with no net control station
   or designated topic. *Check in with your friends and enjoy a Sunday
   morning chat!

*Evening sessions:*

   -

   *Wednesday evening* *Handiham Radio Club Social Net with a trivia
   question.* This is a friendly, directed net with a net control station
   and the opportunity to answer a trivia question,  if you wish.
   -

   *Thursday evening Handiham Radio Club TechNet, a directed net with a net
   control station for the purpose of discussing technical topics in amateur
   radio. *If you have a question or a technical problem, check in and
   report it to the net. Perhaps you will find an answer in the ensuing
   discussion, or perhaps you will be able to answer someone else's question
   about a technical issue.

*EchoLink nodes:*

*Welcome to the NX0P repeater,  146.685 with a tone of 100Hz,  Echolink
node number 513917.  The NX0P machine is near Albert Lea in far southern
Minnesota, near the busy intersection of US Interstate highways 90 and 35. *

*HANDIHAM* conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity
node.)
*VAN-IRLP*, node 256919
KA0PQW-R, node 267582
KA0PQW-L, node 538131
N0BVE-R, node 89680

*On the 220 MHz band: *223.94 negative offset, Arden Hills, MN Tone 100 Hz
- KA0PQW (link)

*Other ways to connect:*

IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)

WIRES system number 1427
------------------------------
*A dip in the pool*

[image: Pat shows off his new Plantronics USB headset!]

It's time to test our knowledge by taking a dip in the pool - the question
pool, that is!

*Let's go to the Extra Class pool for a mini-quiz on contesting.  Have a
way to record each of the five answers, and give yourself 20% for each
correct answer.  All five correct equals a perfect score of 100%.*

E2C01 asks: Which of the following is true about contest operating?

A. Operators are permitted to make contacts even if they do not submit a
log
B. Interference to other amateurs is unavoidable and therefore acceptable
C. It is mandatory to transmit the call sign of the station being worked as
part of every transmission to that station
D. Every contest requires a signal report in the exchange

E2C02 asks: Which of the following best describes the term “self-spotting”
in regards to contest operating?

A. The generally prohibited practice of posting one’s own call sign and
frequency on a call sign spotting network
B. The acceptable practice of manually posting the call signs of stations
on a call sign spotting network
C. A manual technique for rapidly zero beating or tuning to a station’s
frequency before calling that station
D. An automatic method for rapidly zero beating or tuning to a station’s
frequency before calling that station

E2C03 asks: From which of the following bands is amateur radio contesting
generally excluded?

A. 30 meters
B. 6 meters
C. 2 meters
D. 33 cm

E2C04 asks: On which of the following frequencies is an amateur radio
contest contact generally discouraged?

A. 3.525 MHz
B. 14.020 MHz
C. 28.330 MHz
D. 146.52 MHz

E2C05 asks: What is the function of a DX QSL Manager?

A. To allocate frequencies for DXpeditions
B. To handle the receiving and sending of confirmation cards for a DX
station
C. To run a net to allow many stations to contact a rare DX station
D. To relay calls to and from a DX station

*So how much do you think you know about contesting?  If you have tried it
at all, you don't need to be an Extra to know the answers to these
questions!  Here are the correct answers:*

A. Operators are permitted to make contacts even if they do not submit a
log
A. The generally prohibited practice of posting one’s own call sign and
frequency on a call sign spotting network
A. 30 meters
D. 146.52 MHz
B. To handle the receiving and sending of confirmation cards for a DX
station

*How did you do?*

   - *Five correct = 100%.      You are a contesting genius!*
   - *Four correct = 80%.        You're a runner-up in this contest.*
   - *Three correct = 60%.       Middle of the pack, but you'll do better
   with some practice.*
   - *Two correct = 40%.        Just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Time
   to get on the air and listen during contest weekends.*
   - *One correct = 20%.        You might want to think about some basic
   reading about operating and contesting. You have to start somewhere!*

Please e-mail handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to comment.
*
------------------------------
This week @ HQ*

*The Handiham office will be closed on Monday, February 18 for the United
States Presidents' Day holiday.* The office will reopen on Tuesday morning.
*The February digest is mailing this week.*  Also check it out in the
members section for the latest Daisy digest.  **

*Our scheduled Extra Class lecture will cover digital logic and will be
available on Friday afternoon if all goes well.  If I cannot post the
lecture because of time constraints, we do have the previous lecture on
display devices available right now.  *All courses, Tech though Extra, are
on line for your use whenever you want to study or review. Teaching is done
with thoughtful attention to descriptions for those who are blind, and we
promote understanding concepts rather than simply memorizing the question
pool.  If you would like to use this service but do not understand how,
please contact us.  We can also put the audio lectures on your DAISY
digital NLS cartridge if you prefer that method instead of downloading or
streaming audio from the website. Our latest audio lectures cover concepts
in the Extra Class course. Please join us in whatever course you need, and
also please let us know if you would like a specific topic covered in our
Operating Skills lecture series.
**

*Handiham net information and news: *The official and most current net news
may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets

*Digital mailers are important: *If you do mail a digital cartridge to us,
please be sure that it is an approved free matter mailer. Otherwise it will
quickly cost us several dollars to package and mail out, which is more than
the cost of the mailer in the first place. We don't have a stock of
cartridges or mailers and not including a mailer will result in a long
delay getting your request back out to you.

*DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers*, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your callsign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc. <http://www.aph.org/>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Catalog Number: 1-02610-00, Price: $12.00

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Mailer Catalog Number: 1-02611-00, Price:
$2.50

Order Toll-Free: (800) 223-1839.

The Library of Congress NLS has a list of vendors for the digital
cartridges:
http://www.loc.gov/nls/cartridges/index.html

Get it all on line as an alternative:  Visit the DAISY section on the
Handiham website after logging in.
*
------------------------------
Stay in touch

[image: Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

email address changes so that we can continue to stay in touch with you.
You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or call her at
763-520-0512.  If you need to use the toll-free number, call
1-866-426-3442.

Handiham Manager Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or by phone at 763-520-0511.

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert, KD0LPX, at
763-520-0532 or email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Get the Handiham E-Letter by email every Wednesday, and stay up-to-date
with ham radio news.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at Handiham Weekly E-Letter in MP3
format <http://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>
Email us to subscribe:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pat, WA0TDA
Manager, Courage Handiham System
Reach me by email at:
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fill out the paperwork!

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  for changes of address, unsubscribes, etc.
Include your old email address and your new address.
Return to Handiham.org <http://handiham.org/>
*