[handiham-world] Addendum: CQ acquires WorldRadio Magazine

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:24:36 -0600

(Hicksville, NY and Sacramento, CA, November 12, 2008)

CQ Communications, Inc. has acquired WorldRadio magazine, CQ Publisher Dick
Ross, K2MGA and WorldRadio Publisher Armond Noble, N6WR, announced jointly
today. CQ, based in Hicksville, New York, currently publishes CQ Amateur
Radio, CQ VHF and Popular Communications magazines.

WorldRadio, based in Sacramento, California, has been published monthly
since July, 1971, with a primary focus on the human side of ham radio. CQ, a
general-interest ham radio magazine best known for its support of DXing and
contesting, has been in print since January, 1945.

Armond Noble, N6WR, Publisher of WorldRadio, said that at the age of 74 the
time had come for him to retire. "I wanted to be sure that WorldRadio found
a good home, and that our readers would continue to be served by an
independent voice in amateur radio," Noble said.

CQ Publisher Dick Ross, K2MGA, said, "WorldRadio has filled an important
niche in our hobby for nearly four decades. We welcome WorldRadio's readers
to the CQ family, and we look forward to meeting their needs for many years
to come."

Current plans call for WorldRadio to continue to be published online as part
of the CQ family of magazines, with Editor Nancy Kott, WZ8C, continuing in
that position. WorldRadio subscribers will also have their subscriptions
transferred to CQ magazine. Readers will be notified of details as plans are
finalized.