[openbeos] Re: x86 boot loader milestone

  • From: "Bruno van Dooren" <bruno_van_dooren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:39:59 +0200

first of all: WAAAY cool milestone.
second: my computer is a dual PIII 1GHz with a MSI motherboard that uses a
VIA chipset.
it has raid, but no array is attached.

each time it boots, it tries to detect a raid array, and do a lot of other
BIOS stuff.
the boot process takes about 30-45 seconds to get to the bootloader.
BeOS boots in 8-10 seconds.

so even if I would be able to boot OBOS in 3 seconds, this still wouldn't
make much difference.

this is not to say it wouldn't be cool on a motherboard with a faster BIOS
startup.

kind regards,
    Bruno.