[openbeos] Re: when open beos R1 comes out...

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 01:28:18 -0400

The extremely short version of the answer to this is that it is too much time
and effort.

Slightly longer - it is a whole ton of work and something that we don't have to
undertake, really. Just as, say, Linus doesn't make one. There will be
"guidelines" of sorts to make a distro - directory structures, etc that define
a system, to help avoid the issues that Linux has.

Plus, this is really an opportunity for the non-programmers out there to help
out. Anyone who can use, say, the shell can make a demo. Heck - you could make
one with R5 personal, right now. Maybe you can't legally distribute it, but you
could make one. As set up and practice. Maybe you could legally distribute it.
Heck - I am not a lawyer.

Anyway. Making one is a fair amount of work and is honestly, something that is
better left to others.