[haiku] Re: welcome.html - Haiku pre-alpha r28821

  • From: "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:07:12 -0400

> We cannot provide "all websites" in a file provided with Haiku
> itself... and so the best solution is to point to a single page
> somewhere on the internet that isn't likely to disappear, where as
> many sites as possible are linked. That's the only sane method :)

I agree 100% with this. It's easier for the community to maintain a website
than a local document with the links. Also, if there is a link to the
website those who are using older versions will still have access to the
updated information on the website. I.e. If a website disappears it's super
easy to update the website to reflect this.

> IMO, the majority of the welcome text and user guide should be content
> local to the user's computer to assist them *without* requiring an
> internet connection at all, once you require an internet connection to
> read more info, you should just send them to a single page where they
> can find links to all that info. It just seems like the proper sane
> strategy.

I also agree here too. The "official" docs should be distributed with the OS
(i.e. getting started, readme etc.) then point them to a web page that has
the rest.

Cheerios!