[openbeos] Re: unrar & about us

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:25:41 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:

I think this is a problem, as people might want to charge money for a Haiku distribution. And I am not sure if the inclusion of unrar would prevent this (ie. everyone selling a Haiku distribution would need to remove it).

I think we can all agree on adding the necessary rules to Expander, and leave the inclusion of the executable to the maker of the distribution.

Auch! I thought we will avoid the distribution nightmare. I *hate* Linux coming in a lot of "desktop" flavors.
What happened to "Doing The Right Thing(TM)"? I thought we will offer our distribution. If we do so, do you think others will have a chance, especially because of licensing problems? (and cost)

We're not targeting server or enterprise platform, we're only talking about desktop. Don't you think we can do enough so that we can ship ca capable desktop OS?

My opinion is that we should include that unrar in our CVS as we are never going to charge for THE Haiku OS.

bye, Adi.