[openbeos] Re: unrar

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:44:38 -0500

But a simple email wouldn't suffice, necessarily. It should be something in
writing that says that we have permission.

It comes to a macro-sized version of the old arguement with linking in
libraries. Think about a compiler vendor that includes value added libraries
with their compiler that are under a non-free license. Purchasers of the
compilers can use the libraries in their applications without restriction.

Taking a couple of extreme cases: One is the case where you add a very thin
veneer to those libraries to make an executable that others can invoke from
their own app through messaging or something. This case is a "clear" violation
of the intent of the compiler writer. The other extreme case is just the
opposite - writing a huge app that uses the library but always being wary that
the compiler company will sue you.

In this case, rar is not a significant portion of our distribution. No one
could *reasonably* argue that people are (ok, will be) downloading (or
purchasing) Haiku R1 just to get to rar. Or libc or anything else we include.
It just doesn't make sense.