[openbeos] Re: undocumented syscalls

  • From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:59:54 -0300 (BRT)

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Timothy Covell wrote:

> I'm no kernel programmer ;-( , but I do know that inb/outb are
> almost indespensible.  How do you plan on implementing this
> on OBOS without write_isa_io or an equivalent?

We are writting an OS from scratch. We will implement anything we need.

> Along these lines, I'm confused about how BeOS can have
> _micro_second resolution with commands like microsleep(),
> yet have a 3ms scheduler quantum.   Perhaps someone could
> explain these things in a newsletter??

Easy, it does not have a 3ms scheduler quantum.

Quoting Manuel (the indented text was the question asked):

----------

> I read that the timer tick was 1ms, and the scheduler did task
> switching on every third tick (3ms). That would give the 1ms timing
> resolution.

That's not even close to truth.

There is no periodic tick in BeOS. There is a time based callout queue
that is used by the scheduler itself. NewOS implementation is close enough
to what BeOS did to give you an idea.

So, there you go.

-Bruno