[openbeos] Re: the new website

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:55:07 -0700

Axel,

Just three short comments on the topic of the newsletter.

One: the newsletter will NOT be monthly; we will start with an open calendar, and even if we can only publish it once or twice a year to start with, it would still serve its purpose.

Two: printing on demand was what I had in mind, at least for the foreseeable future.

Three: I am fully aware of how difficult it has been for Haiku until new to get contributions. But then I ask you (and the others who are skeptical) that you have an open mind and let me prove you all wrong. :-)

If we meet at WalterCon 2007 and by then the newsletter has not worked out, I will treat you to dinner at your place of choice. :-)

Koki

Axel Dörfler wrote:
"Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
With regards to where the material would come from, I envision many opportunities for articles from people beyond the core developers (I hope this is not a problem); the content will also go just beyond coding (I hope this is not a problem either). Specifically, there is WalterCon

No, as you can see with the previous newsletters, articles from developers are rare, and we already have quite a number of contributors beyond the core developers.
And if you envision the newsletters as marketing material foremost, developer articles probably also should be rare (or at least be chosen carefully to be not too specific/advanced).
But as Stephan mentioned: it's not easy to get people to write newsletter articles. This is not only a problem of developers - writing a good article takes time and effort. Michael had to step in pretty often to write one, and I'm sure you would run into a similar problem if you're aiming for a periodic schedule too short.
So to start with, I wouldn't announce to make it available monthly, only to need to change this to every-two-monthly later on. I would rather start with that, and if it works out, that we had to shorten the period to make up for the demand, and number of contributed articles - even though I wouldn't expect that to happen too soon, at least probably not before we start releasing something).

to report about; there can be interviews, so that the outside world starts knowing a little bit about the people inside the Haiku project;

Okay, then this additional marketing material starts to make sense for me ;-)
Even though I would still only print them on demand :