[openbeos] Re: the new website

  • From: ar1000@xxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:27:12 -0400

On Aug 27, 2006, at 12:04 PM, Stephan Assmus wrote:

Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tend to agree with Koki: The developer articles will be personal views
that reflect the daily life of us haiku-slaves, won't they? >;o) Pretty
much like Axel's blog was when he got paid by haiku, some of his entries
were real articles, others were quick updates.
Newsletter articles, on the other side, have a specific aim, which is to
"build value" (as Koki put it), ideally giving insight as well as
contributing to the overall public image of the project. They will tend
to be longish and each of them will hopefully have a clear, specific
topic (which in my experience is only rarely true for personal articles).

Furthermore, I see the personal articles as being in the domain of the
individual developer, while any newsletter articles (that may or may not
be written by developers) are in the domain of marketing, i.e. this is
where the marcom team may insist on change of wording, etc. While this
may sound like PR-machinery-hell, it is merely the basic principle that
will allow marcom to keep control over the official view project haiku
will present to the outside.

If we can agree on that separation, it should be easier to avoid those
highly emotional discussions between developers and marcom about the
effect of the PR-machinery: it should simply be obvious for any
newsletter article author that marcom has the final say on the article.
And it should be obvious to the marcom team that they have nothing to
complain about any developer article.

It might even be the case that marcom may explicitly request articles
about certain topics to be written within a certain timeframe, in order
to achieve any goal. This, of course, is totally opposed to the
self-motivated notion of developer "blogs".

You guys keep discussing the idealistic way... what you seem to completely
forget is that the new website was designed to fix a specific problem. And
if your view on the new site would be fully implemented, we would have that
same problem again/still! Which is that "official news letters" will be
released once every three quarters of a year.

There is your visions on the one side, but the real Haiku project (the
people behind it with their limited resources) on the other side. Where is
the content going to come from that goes into official news letters? Will
you have three or four articles all at once every month? Our website is
going to look _again_ like their is no progress.

Best regards,
-Stephan

Assuming I understand correctly, developers and people who have content to put into the newsletter "the official one" would submit content to the Marcom team (or a subset thereof) who will edit (for content and for style) and focus the newsletter until it is a releasable project.

I think that content moderation/filtration by a team that is dedicated to Haiku's image and identity is necessary and proper to creating a streamlined and unified brand.

- Austin