[openbeos] Re: the new website

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:11:14 -0700

Hi,

Here is my take on how the new website should be organized. I think this approach would address the most important issues at hand, and hopefully they can be doable within the framework of what we now have.

In order to make it easier to manage the content, and have a clear separation between the marketing message, the technical documentation and the community driven content, I propose that site be organized into sections that are managed by those who actually contribute and manage the content.

Here are the specific categories and their respective sections:

1) Marketing

- Front page
- About (which includes FAQ)
- News & Events
- Newsletter

2) Engineering

- Download (instead of "Get Haiku")
- Documentation
- Development
- Developer's blogs

3) Community

- Forums
- Community Wiki
- User blogs

Content rights would be given to those individuals responsible for each type of content (marcom team for marketing and devs for development), while the community would be open to anyone who registers. If you are a Haiku fan and want to be part of the community, you can register and participate in the forums, have your personal Haiku related blog, and/or contribute to the Community Wiki.

This separation would allow marketing to manage the message to the outside world, the devs to freely produce all the technical documentation that is is required, and the community to have a place to express itself and feel part of the project.

So, how do we get there? I do not know. :-) (beat me up if you want) Ideally, this is what I would like to see, but I am flexible:

Each section would have to be independent so that, for example, you can list the latest entries of only that section (as opposed to listing the latest entries from all content in the site). For example, from the menu structure below, when you go to the "News & Events" page, the "Related Items" should only list news, and not technical stuff from, say, the development section.

This is how I envision the the top menu to be:

- About

   * What is Haiku
   * Haiku Tour (screenshots or videos)
   * Teams
   * Sponsors

- News & Events

   * Latest news
   * News archive
   * WalterCon

- Development (as is + Documentation)

- Community

   * Forums
   * Wiki
   * User Blogs

The common menu on the right top (next to Search), could be:

- Download

   * Haiku images
   * Development tools
   * Anything else that would be of use to devs?

- Report Bugs

- Contact

I would also like to see some visual aides that identify the community section, in order to distinguish it from the rest). If it is possible to use a different logo depending on the page you are at, I would like to do something like this (disclaimer: this is just a crude paste-up/mockup, not a design proposal):

http://www.zeta-zone.net/haiku/forums_mockup.jpg

Note the "Community Forum" co-branding added to the right of the Haiku logo; this could be used with the other community sections (ie., Community Wiki, Community Blogs).

The front page is also key, and I think that it needs to be repurposed to our current goals. There needs to be more visual elements that lead to the key pieces of information that are important for our audience (the developers). We also need a "Highlights" box or block where we can expose events/milestones that are relevant at any given time (for example, we could have a "Come to WalterCon" visual element, with a link to the WalterCon page. I will try to put together a mockup for later today or tomorrow (Waldemar, can static information be added to the front page?)

BTW, this is not the conceptual proposal that I have been threatening with :-) since last week; that one is more far reaching and it is not done yet (and on hold for now).

I think this proposal would be a good compromise to achieve the best manageability of content possible, while giving more freedom to all the contributors regardless of their nature (devs, marcom or community), and without the risk of people inadvertently stepping on somebody else's toes. :-)

I really hope we can do this. :-)

Koki