[openbeos] Re: the new website

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:42:33 +0200

On 8/26/06, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm, I'd have to see something more concrete before I continue
> commenting on it. I just think that there is too much artificial
> separation between all those content types.

Do you want me to write and print a full newsletter for you to approve? :-)

No, a simple paragraph descibing what you have in mind is sufficient. Seriously, from what I saw, Axel doesn't understand what you want, either. You'll have to explain it for us.

> In my recent over-exaggerated email I hope to have made clear which
> cocerns I have with blogs. What is our focus? Haiku or end-user rants?
> Who needs those rants, anyway? Why do we want to "pollute" our
> official website with off-topic personal discussions which don't
> express our own opinion and might even be harmful for us because they
> go too far into the "personal rant" category? Why would people coming
> to our site want ot read personal blogs? What does that have to do
> with Haiku the product? Why don't you answer directly to these
> concerns? :)
> I have a very big problem with putting something on our website that
> is bigger than all the on-topic content we put there.

We actually want to capture the Haiku blogging that currently happens
elsewhere, so it in general it would not be off-topic. Having that under
the Haiku umbrella would help nurture a sense of community.

Do we really want this? Initially we only wanted to capture the *important* Haiku-related blogging like "Weekly Haiku" and the individual developer blogs and get more people to write articles. Later the idea came up that it might be cool to allow for end-users to write articles. This will be possible, but we have to keep a certain quality standard.

>> So the question is: is it possible to change the logo for the Community
>> area to one with the community co-branding signature?
>
> Yes, with some theme hackery (hard-coding which page needs a different
> logo) it should be possible.

Can we do this then?

We should first agree what should go there and who will do it. Forums and wiki are obvious, but it is too much work for me to integrate them visually into the website like in your mockup (I *really* want that to happen, but it's too much coding for me). Someone else will have to do it. This is a good opportunity for volunteers to take the website task over. I've done the initial steps, but I can't do much more.

I'll try to work on Trac a little bit, but it would be nice if Charlie
or Mikael could help here, too. We still have a few open tickets and
the way queries are implemented for category trees is hacky (I simply
added a "starts with" rule).

>> Does that mean that we will migrate the phpBB forums to the new website?
>> If that is the case, that should go under the "Community" area.
>
> I'd like to keep the content itself it separate.
> I'd love to have it visually integrated,

I am not sure I follow you. From a user perspective, as long as it is
visually integrated, it is not separate, so that should work. :-)

The "search" function in Drupal would not list the other content. Drupal wouldn't know anything about it except if someone extends the search function to optionally integrate the other areas.

But aside from that, what's wrong with the Drupal forums?

Nothing really. We'd just have to customize the search module to not show forum posts, by default. Also, we'd have to migrate the data. Well, they don't look as good as phpBB, but that's not such a big problem.

The other three categories are not a problem at all. Again, take a look
at freebisd.org, and you will see that they have listings for not three
but fours types of content (Lates News, Upcoming Events, In the Media,
and Security Advisories). Not that we will replicate freebsd.org
identicall, but I think that is a really smart format to expose a lot of
information in a well organized way.

Seriously, I never liked when a website makes this kind of distinction. I understand that events need to be listed separately, but not the other article types (not taking security advisories into account).

If I go to http://plonetest.haiku-os.org/blog/ I see a the latest
entries regardless of the article category. Forgive my ignorance, but is
it not possible to have http://plonetest.haiku-os.org/news/ with the
same function but for news? Would creating a "News" article type
pointing to the /news/ forlder work?

There is a "views" module which allows such listings based on tags, for example. We could add a "news" tag. I could even enable the "story" module for news and events. I haven't used the views module, though.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald