[openbeos] Re: the browser ...

  • From: "romt" <romt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 19:14:25 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rudy Gingles" <rudyatek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2002 2:40 PM
Subject: [openbeos] Re: the browser ...

> > Quoth "arougthopher":
> > >
> > >Now with my ranting completed, let me get to my point.  I am officially
> > >voting for BeZilla to be the OBOS browser of choice.  This is not just
> > >because I am working on it, either.  First, with BeZilla, we as a team,
> > >not only have ourselves, but hundreds if not more, developers working
> > >on the project.  Luckily, we only have to worry about one part of that
> > >project, and that is making it run under BeOS.  Well, for the most
> > >part, that's taken care of.  Now, we just need to make it better.
> > >Second, Mozilla gets a lot of press,.  We could ride their coat tails,
> > >so to speak, for a little publicity ourselves.  Third, it is one of the
> > >most standard compliant browsers on the market.  Forth, it is
> > >embedable, so we could take just the browser part, and make a smaller
> > >application.  Fifth, a lot of the work is already done.  Sixth, it
> > >brings familiarity to users who know nothing about OBOS, or BeOS for
> > >that matter.  Plus probably some other good reasons, I can't think of
> > >right now.
> >
> > Personally, I agree 100%.  Mozilla is the easiest choice, and a lot of
> > the BeOS features someone mentioned as not being used in Mozilla could
> > (as far as I know) be relatively easily implemented and incorporated in
> > Mozilla.  We'll get the benefit of any open-source modules that are
> written
> > for mozilla as well.  It just seems like a good idea, to me.
>
> Hi all, my first post here, as a "pro-OpenBeOS observer" I guess, but I
had
> a comment here.
>
> Personally, I think Mozilla is a great browser, as far as HTML rendering
> goes. However, I have a few things I dislike about the browser as a whole
> that, if unfixable, would make it undesirable to use as the main BeOS
> browser:
>
> 1. Mozilla takes FOREVER to start up, and I personally hate the idea of a
> startup leech to make it appear to load faster. Whichever browser we use
has
> to be snappy in every way, a reflection of BeOS's power.
> 2. All of the UI controls are custom drawn. Meaning it looks totally
> foreign, nothing like any other program, and therefore won't take
advantage
> of any system-wide UI customizations/preferences.
>
> If the HTML renderer can be used independently of the rest of the browser,
> and doesn't have the problems I've listed, I think it'd be great. It's an
> excellent and actively-updated project to tap into. If not, I say we look
> one of the others, like KHTML. The HTML renderer is important, and we
> definitely need to use one of the existing good ones so we don't duplicate
> huge amount of effort. But everything else about the browser, the actual
> program and all it's features and preferences, should be written
especially
> for (Open)BeOS. We want a BeOS browser, with all the speed a BeOS browser
> [...]

Just in case anybody is interested, I have started looking into developing a
beos browser, using the themis stuff that's already been written
http://themis.sf.net ,themis uses a plugin architecture ,and am now in the
process of disassembling the kde konqueror core source ie khtml,css,xml and
kjs which are already standards compliant and re-writing them into plugins
for themis.

admittedly it's a large job to convert an awful lot of code, but the qt/kde
structure isn't that far a stretch from beos itself. by doing taking it this
way, parts can be replaced with the newer konqueror parts as they're
released. or just developed code as people become more experieced.

considering that i'm just a 'budding' developer anybody who'd like to help,
take charge or just offer advice, let me know.

it is my belief that an OS is only as good as the applications it has. no
good having this brilliant os like beos if there's nothing worthwhile to run
on it :-)

Matt