[openbeos] suggestions for R1

  • From: Marco Zanon <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:07:41 +0200

Hi,

these are my suggestions for OBOS R1 (another post for R2 to
come...), I hope they may be realized and don't break the OBOS
"tradition and look&feel"... :)

1) move the Tracker on the left, so the popup menu open towards
right;

2) move the menu folders (Applications, Games, Preferences, etc.)
on the beginning of the menu, and the rest (restart, shutdown,
recent applications, etc.) on the last part;

3) have a big control panel which contains ("embeds", like in KDE
or Gnome Control Centers) all configuration apps (networking,
devices, background, etc.);

4) take the GPL'ed code from POle, which is a library for reading
OLE streams from files (it could be useful to developers to have
such a library shipped with the operating system), and is
included in the KOffice cvs tree (but AFAIK it is written in
C/C++ only, no Qt or Kde code);

5) invite, if possible, developers of drivers (found on
bebits.com) to release their drivers with an opensource license,
possibly MIT: this would attract much more people to OBOS;
(the same for some other applications, obviously :)

6) choose a definitive name for the project, be it OBOS or
something else, so that it is possible to create the final logo,
to prepare a renewed web site (I'll send my ideas about that to
webmasters, or in another post) and to notice your friends of an
upcoming operating system :)

thanks :)

Marco Zanon [http://www.marcozanon.com]