[openbeos] Re: <storage/Alert.h>

  • From: "Allen Brunson" <brunsona@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 16:59:55 -0500

Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> On macs, alias = symbolic link.

That was probably true on OS9 and below but it's not anymore.  OSX has both
aliases and symbolic links and they are most assuredly not the same thing.
Aliases work the Mac way, i.e., if you rename a file the alias still points
to it, while that would break a symbolic link.

The Finder understands symbolic links but will only create aliases.  On the
other hand, Apple's framework bundles use symbolic links.

> Given the mac heritage of the BeOS, I think it's the same thing.

In the case of Alias.h, probably so.  The more I get into MacOSX the more I
see what a profound amount of stuff Be ripped off from Apple.