[openbeos] Re: status of OpenBeOS

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 02:41:29 +0200 CEST

Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would love to have better terminal capabilities, and better posix
> support. So that most unix terminal applications work without to much
> adjustements. I really like the *nix way of working in a terminal,
> for
> some tasks. And for others, i prefer a GUI. linux/bsd, etc, do very
> well
> on the terminal part, but the GUI is really not perfect. BeOS did
> very
> well on the GUI, but the terminal part needs some improvement. I just
> want the best from both worlds: Good GUI, a decent unix in the
> terminal ...

I don't know yet about the terminal, but OpenBeOS will be much better
in the POSIX compliancy than BeOS in many regions. It already is in the
parts that are already implemented - although it's kind of surprising
to see how many functions are broken in BeOS.

I am sick of needing to port POSIX compliant software over to the BeOS
- it should just work, that's what POSIX is all about. And it's much
easier and straight-forward to do that at an OS level, instead of doing
it all over again for every application you want to see running under
BeOS.

Adios...
   Axel.