[openbeos] Re: starting posix

  • From: "p willis" <p.willis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:40:51 -0800

> Since you are just starting on the posix stuff, it might be 'pro-active'
> aim for subset compliance with the Linux Standards Base. There is a strong
> push within the *nix world for this. That and it should be posix
compliant.

I was thinking more of IEEE1003.1 (a,b and c) POSIX compliance.
That's the standard.  Linux???.....what's that have to do with POSIX
other than that I could 'borg' a bunch of useless code and still need to
program the whole thing over again.

I'm sure, (and gathered from the discusssions and standards documentation
on the web regarding posix)
that the UNIX people would like POSIX to be used to completely lock out
all those 'other' (eyes roll) operating systems by UNIXizing  (or
Linuxizing) the standard
as much as possible.This is not my goal. My goal is to comply with the ieee
standard. I'm not big on the idea of using POSIX as the unix version of
a .NET strategy so that everything looks and behaves like linux. We're
making a
**FAST** operating system here not a perl/python/HTML (ROFL) based server
OS.

that other Peter
(who uses linux daily, among other things, and yet remains annoying to linux
zealots)