[haiku] Re: some questions from a complete newbe

  • From: Dick <dick@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:21:03 +0100 (CET)

Hi,
thanks for your reply.
I use ubuntu myself now, i always work in the console. I have no idea: is the haiku console realy text-mode or is it just part of the graphical environment? For example: in ubuntu it is possible to login to the consoles in full text mode. in this mode brltty can provide all information to the braille display. but you can also enter the terminal with gnometermilan, but this terminal is in fact part of the graphic environment and brltty will show noting, unless orca(the gnome screenreader) is used. so if haiku has a real text-console porting brltty to haiku would make it accessibel for the blind.
suggestion: maybe it is a good idea to add a package to depot something like(nightly vs beta1) so the whole list of missing packages form a nightly build can be installed at once.
I googled around a bit but some things are not clear to me:
has someone already watched netflix with haiku, is that already possible with the webpositive browser? or watching tv-show from other sources like fmovies.to does that work?
The problem is a hp pavillion with amd a4 6210, 6gb ram 1tb harddrive, radeon r3 video, broadcom bcm43142 wireless card. In windows it is unusably slow, in ubuntu it is still slow, and wifi is unstable. so i wanted to try something completely different, haiku sounds as a nice os.
best regards, dick