[haiku] Re: some questions from a complete newbe

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:12:39 +0100

Hi,

Am 07.12.2018 um 09:55 schrieb Axel Dörfler:

another question: my partner will test with this machine because i am blind myself. did someone ever think about inplementing accessibility for the blind in haiku?

Well, that's certainly a big TODO on our part. However, unless someone comes up with a strong desire to implement accessibility features, I don't think we'll work on that anytime soon given our small resources.

I'm afraid that a mainstream OS is a better choice for you for now, although I hope that this will change in the future.

A couple years back, I was visiting a convention to demo Haiku (Chemnitzer Linux Tage) and there was a guy a few stands away introducing people to the needs of visually impaired computer users (such as himself). At the time I was active in contributing to the user interface code of Haiku. We talked a few times during the convention, and it was quite interesting. It is a huge field. There are many different types of impairment with different needs (contrast, color, zooming). And a completely blind person would have different needs yet. From the perspective of the code, a _lot_ would need to be done to support this. There would need to be a standardized way for interface elements to report info to a screen reading component, and then the screen reader itself. Applications would need to support it in their custom interface components. Custom input methods. And on and on.

I guess when there are enough people working on a project, eventually there will be someone with an interest in this and the skill to implement it. Haiku on the other hand has so few developers, and so many areas in need of attention, that accessibility features are ignored. I know it sucks. If I had the time to work on Haiku again, it would be fixing the font rendering or being able to preview images directly in Tracker. There are so many things. I can fully understand that no one worked on this yet.

Best regards,
-Stephan