[openbeos] select() in BeOS ?

  • From: Mathieu Malaterre <mmalater@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:10:33 -0500

Hello,

First of all, let me apologize if it's not the proper mailing list for this question. And please direct me to another ML / newsgroup if necessery.

I send a question to news://comp.sys.be.programmer, but as nobody answered it I am trying in a bigger BeOS community. So here is my question:

Hello,

    I found yet another /feature/ in BeOS. I hope you guys could help
me again. Is there a way to use select() on BeOS for file.

I found this on groups.google:

[stdin input doesn't work because ssh select()'s both the network
socket and the stdin file descriptor. On BeOS, select() only works for
network sockets. You have to rewrite the code to have one thread
waiting in a read() for stdin input, one waiting in a recv() for
network input, and both sending the data they receive to the parent
(the original code).]

I guess I have a few options:
- Do you think somebody rewrote the select function ?
- Do think I can use BONE (I found it fully support select), but not
sure what it is exactly.
- Any other tricks to work around this bug ?

I could now extend the possibilities to:
- Should I wait until OpenBeOS will be ready ?
- How does people work around one very important function from the POSIX
specification, what different approach the BeOS team decide to choose (I
never say select() was compulsory, but would like to know how process
execution is available in BeOS) ?

Thanks a lot,
Mathieu