[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: Isaac Yonemoto <ityonemo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:02:25 -0500 (CDT)

> Linux has had kernel threads for years (since kernel 1.3.56 to be
> exact). Granted not as smooth to develop for as BeOS threads but threads
> nonetheless.

This is true.  In fact I was programming a web server in linux (actually
the first linux program that I ever wrote) -- and being used to BeOS
multithreading, I used pthreads here and there -- but my program kept
crashing left and right.  Turns out that linux libpthread isn't
compatible with libsocket since the libsocket uses a different sort of
malloc than libpthread, and as a result any sockets I tried to create in a
pthread caused errors.  So I had to make all my net sockets in the main
thread -- needless to say I was *very* annoyed.

BeOS threading is *very* good, possibly the only thing left good in the
old sucker.  (I'm still waiting for sshd, too lazy/incomptent to code my
own)...

Isaac