[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:38:58 +0800

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 17:22, Adi Oanca wrote:
>     Exactly what you understand.
Please explain what you mean. Do you mean a CLI app that runs
continously in the background or one that is started/forked/spawned
and then controlled by a GUI program?

>     As I said, short:
>         * forking involves creating an new context for a new app( new
> PROCESS, new userspace memory allocation(+mirroring original app space), new
> internal kernel data for that app(linked lists), etc.). processes created by
> fork don't finish execution when the main thread is done. If fact, I don't
> if there is a main thread OR, a team.
>         * spawning only involves creating a new THREAD ( new, small,
> internal data; NO memory allocation and no copying). They, by default have
> one feature that I really like: shared memory! Linux doesn't have that, you
> must use pipes for simple communication purposes.

Linux threads has shared memory.
And i know the difference between forking a new process and starting a
new thread, thank you, that's not what we're talking about.
You said using a background CLI app in BeOS is not like forking and I
cant see how it isnt. Spawning a new thread and doing some stuff in it
is not the same as starting a new process.

>     Linux doesn't have threads! Yet!

Linux has had kernel threads for years (since kernel 1.3.56 to be
exact). Granted not as smooth to develop for as BeOS threads but threads
nonetheless.

> > Because if there already is a standalone app that will get the job done
> > ,and your application isnt in need of the theoretical speed increase
> > that using an addon would give, the right thing to do is to use the
> > already existing CLI app.
>
>     Now, I think you are narrow-minded!

If getting the job done efficiently and without re-inventing the wheel
is narrow-minded then call me guilty.

>     I don't care the OS name, a fact remains a fact!

It's not a fact just because you say it is.

--
Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>