[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: "Adi Oanca" <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:22:34 +0300

From: "Lars Hansson"

> >     Using a background CLI app in BeOS, is not quite like forking.
> What, exactly, do you mean by "Using a background CLI app"?

    Exactly what you understand.

> I cant see how it's not forking.

    If you understand that creating a THREAD in BeOS is like forking then, I
think you deserve a short explanation about forking and spawning.

    As I said, short:
        * forking involves creating an new context for a new app( new
PROCESS, new userspace memory allocation(+mirroring original app space), new
internal kernel data for that app(linked lists), etc.). processes created by
fork don't finish execution when the main thread is done. If fact, I don't
if there is a main thread OR, a team.
        * spawning only involves creating a new THREAD ( new, small,
internal data; NO memory allocation and no copying). They, by default have
one feature that I really like: shared memory! Linux doesn't have that, you
must use pipes for simple communication purposes.

> >  BeOS used threads, Linux doesn't.
> Linux has threads.

    Linux doesn't have threads! Yet!

> >  Anyway, why use additional system resources( the
> > ones involving a new process ) when you can simply use a library in the
same
> > space as you app. Because only small programs( exception: compiler IDEs)
use
> > background CLI apps, why not use a small module with the same
functionality?

> Because if there already is a standalone app that will get the job done
> ,and your application isnt in need of the theoretical speed increase
> that using an addon would give, the right thing to do is to use the
> already existing CLI app.

    Now, I think you are narrow-minded!

> >     How many apps depend on CLI programs?
> >     How may apps use modules to achieve a goal?
> >         I'd say... the majority! See... people know what's better!
> "The majority" is also using Windows, not Beos, so I guess Windows is
> much better than BeOS...

    I don't care the OS name, a fact remains a fact!

> Modules arent always the right choice.

    Maybe...

Adi.