[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:26:51 +0800

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 20:13, Adi Oanca wrote:
>     For 80% of people CLI HAS passed!
>     !!! BeOS is also for us, developers(because of the wonderful BeAPI), who
> still use CLI frequently;
> but it's MORE for the OTHERS, the normal PC users!!!

I didnt say that the normal user should use CLI apps. What we're talking
about are programs using CLI apps and as long as it is transparent to
the user it doesnt matter one iota if you're using modules or CLI apps
to get the job done.

>     Squid could not function without!
Function without what? The authenticators? It works well without them,
their use is optional. It was just an example of how you CAN talk to CLI
apps and get data from them.

>     Using a background CLI app in BeOS, is not quite like forking.
What, exactly, do you mean by "Using a background CLI app"?
I cant see how it's not forking.

>  BeOS used threads, Linux doesn't.
Linux has threads.

>  Anyway, why use additional system resources( the
> ones involving a new process ) when you can simply use a library in the same
> space as you app. Because only small programs( exception: compiler IDEs) use
> background CLI apps, why not use a small module with the same functionality?

Because if there already is a standalone app that will get the job done
,and your application isnt in need of the theoretical speed increase
that using an addon would give, the right thing to do is to use the
already existing CLI app.

>     How many apps depend on CLI programs?
>     How may apps use modules to achieve a goal?
>         I'd say... the majority! See... people know what's better!
"The majority" is also using Windows, not Beos, so I guess Windows is
much better than BeOS...
Modules arent always the right choice.

--
Lars Hansson <lars@xxxxxxxxxxx>