[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: "Adi Oanca" <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:13:21 +0300

From: "Lars Hansson"
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 16:49, Adi Oanca wrote:
>
> > > Personally, I wouldn't see any problems with that - if it's a
> > > reasonable solution to the problem.
> >
> >     Don't make that a habit! It's a poor solution.
> Why is it poor? Is it poor simply because it's not done using
> modules/addons?

    I think I already responded these questions.

> >     It's a quick solution to a small problem. Usually with a bit of work
> > that feature can be incorporated. It is my opinion that those apps are
poor,
> > because they use the old and outdated CLI method. CLI time has passed,
and
> > programmers should realize that.
> CLI time has not passed, you're being narrowminded. GUI's cant solve
> every imaginable programming problem better than CLI's and vice versa.
> Operating Systems and applications exists to solve problems and wether
> the best solution is CLI or GUi based depends on the situation at hand.

    For 80% of people CLI HAS passed!
    !!! BeOS is also for us, developers(because of the wonderful BeAPI), who
still use CLI frequently;
but it's MORE for the OTHERS, the normal PC users!!!

> >  Plus working with CLI apps is slower
> > because they are not in the same space as the app itself; and you can't
> > control them during execution.
> Forking a process is not necessarily slower than loading a module,
> unless you're in Windows where forking is very expensive in terms of
> time and resources. But we're not in Windows...
> You can control and get data from CLI apps using stdin, stdout, and
> stderr. Works very well for Squid authentication programs, for example.

    Squid could not function without! LOTS of programs cannot function
without that! Especially Linux programs!
    If one program needs a service, then let him use that (System)
Service! - a library/module OR and I'd like to see that - A System Service
much like Web Services are. THAT will be a nice thing!

    Using a background CLI app in BeOS, is not quite like forking. BeOS used
 threads, Linux doesn't. Anyway, why use additional system resources( the
ones involving a new process ) when you can simply use a library in the same
space as you app. Because only small programs( exception: compiler IDEs) use
background CLI apps, why not use a small module with the same functionality?
They can surely be found on the net.

> >     As I said, it's quick and poor solution, hope that OBOS won't use
this
> > like Linux does.
> >     I tend to do things the best way possible even if it take a long
time, I
> > may be wrong about that; but... that's meee! :-)
> Longer development time doesnt automagically make for better end
> products.

    I think you're wrong here!!!

> >     You think I'm wrong? Look at the percentage of GUI apps using
scripting
> > with CLI apps versus the ones that use modules!
> Huh?

    How many apps depend on CLI programs?
    How may apps use modules to achieve a goal?
        I'd say... the majority! See... people know what's better!


Adi.




Other related posts: