[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:06:28 +0800

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 16:49, Adi Oanca wrote:

> > Personally, I wouldn't see any problems with that - if it's a
> > reasonable solution to the problem.
>
>     Don't make that a habit! It's a poor solution.
Why is it poor? Is it poor simply because it's not done using
modules/addons?

>     It's a quick solution to a small problem. Usually with a bit of work
> that feature can be incorporated. It is my opinion that those apps are poor,
> because they use the old and outdated CLI method. CLI time has passed, and
> programmers should realize that.
CLI time has not passed, you're being narrowminded. GUI's cant solve
every imaginable programming problem better than CLI's and vice versa.
Operating Systems and applications exists to solve problems and wether
the best solution is CLI or GUi based depends on the situation at hand.

>  Plus working with CLI apps is slower
> because they are not in the same space as the app itself; and you can't
> control them during execution.
Forking a process is not necessarily slower than loading a module,
unless you're in Windows where forking is very expensive in terms of
time and resources. But we're not in Windows...
You can control and get data from CLI apps using stdin, stdout, and
stderr. Works very well for Squid authentication programs, for example.

>     As I said, it's quick and poor solution, hope that OBOS won't use this
> like Linux does.
>     I tend to do things the best way possible even if it take a long time, I
> may be wrong about that; but... that's meee! :-)
Longer development time doesnt automagically make for better end
products.

>     You are right Simon, a *smart* developer would write a script in about
> an hour saving 3 months for work. [Don't forget, I was talking about GUI
> apps!]
>     A *good* developer would realize that scripting with CLI apps is wrong
> and use those 3 months to do it's product competitive.
That wouldn't be so smart if the 1 hour solution is sufficient for the
task at hand.

>     You think I'm wrong? Look at the percentage of GUI apps using scripting
> with CLI apps versus the ones that use modules!
Huh?

--
Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>