[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: "Adi Oanca" <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:02:03 +0300

Hi Scott!

From: "Scott Mansfield"

> Second, let's pick on Word for this one.  In its default configuration
> a lot of the useful menu options are hidden by default unless one
> selects "Advanced Menus" from a dialog sheet buried three-odd levels
> deep without a clear path to get to these so-called "advanced
> properties."  Don't even get me started on the toolbars.

    Well... for a beginner or a casual user it's good thing! It's only that
they hide the wrong menu options! :-)))

> Finally, have you seen the newest-n-greatest feature of Longhorn
> (http://www.winsupersite.com/)?  It's called the "sidebar."  It eats up
> even more precious screen real-estate, it is always present, and it
> does *everything*: plays movies, holds shortcuts (in addition to the
> ones in the start menu and on the desktop), has a clock (in addition to
> the one in the taskbar), shows static pictures and slide shows, has a
> search feature (in addition to the one in the start menu and the one in
> explorer and the one that you get when you right click), takes certain
> options out of the start menu and places said options in the sidebar
> thereby further diluting the start menu's role, et cetera.  That, my
> friends, is confusion and obfuscation in the extreme.

    I'm sorry I see that feature very useful! If they put enough AI in that
sidebar I bet it'll be widely used!

> >>     Hey! That's what I don't like about some people. You say
> >> something, and
> >> then one comes and digest all meanings of that phrase.

    I think it's because we all are programmers. We're supposed to do that!
:-)))

> > Calm down a bit. Just a suggestion, don't bite my head off! ;-)

    ... mmmmmmm... I'm calm now! :-)

> What I was trying to say originally is that I feel we should not try to
> decide what's best for our customers and by inheritance constrain them
> into "our" way of doing things.  Adi (and please don't take this
> personally friend) seemed to think that only "lazy" programmers used
> the command line, at least that's the impression I got reading Adi's
> writings.  I wanted to offer Adi possibly others my perspective as an
> embedded systems and device driver developer (which I don't consider
> "lazy" at all) that the CLI can be a very useful and powerful tool, and
> still has it's place in personal computing universe alongside the GUI.
> I truly believe that these two elements are complimentary, not
> exclusive.

    YOU are RIGHT my friend! I just misunderstood what you wanted to say!

> At the same time I really appreciate Adi's perspective.  I'll be the
> first to admit that as a low-level developer I'm often working through
> tunnel vision because of the degree of focus required for this kind of
> work.  Reading Adi's writings and ideas it's refreshing to see a bigger
> picture.

    Do you'll use DDD? :-))))))))))))))))))))

Adi.