[openbeos] Re: question

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:19:17 -0400

On 4/4/07, razvan petruescu <razvanpetruescu2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Send a brief introduction to the general Haiku
mailing list, so we can assign a task to you"
Been there, subscribed, so to who do I send my
information? To some of the developers, I guess...

Thanks in advance, to whoever bothers to answer this
mail :)

Hi Razvan,

What are your areas of expertise? Are you capable of doing kernel
development, or would you prefer to only do application development?
Do you have skills in areas like video, music or graphics, meaning you
might enjoy working on the media kit or on part of the user interface?

Most areas of Haiku would benefit from more developers, so whatever
area you would enjoy would be the best place for you. At this point we
aren't the kind of project that assigns people to some area and forces
them to only work there (and I imagine most open source projects are
similar.)

If you are totally new to Haiku and BeOS, you might benefit from
downloading a Haiku image and running it in the VMWare Player to see
what the system is like. Eventually though you should install BeOS
because that is what most of us develop Haiku on. There should be
information on the web on how to install BeOS. You may want to start
by looking at BeOS MAX: http://www.bebits.com/app/3892/

You could also download the source code from our SVN repository and
start looking at it, though at first it might be overwhelming. That is
why I think you should try the system out first and then see what
areas you might want to work in.

Regards,
Ryan (one of the Haiku developers)