[openbeos] preparing for an OOo port

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:13:38 +0200 CEST

As the 3.0 version is getting ready, it might be the time to start
thinking about porting OOo to Haiku.
the 3.0 branch is supposed to be cleaner and more modular, which would
fit Haiku goals better than 2.x.

I've been in contact with Eric Bachard, of the EducOOo project, which
proposes to share school documents (courses, slides...), and also
sponsor students to work on fixing bugs and add features on OOo instead
of just coding on some useless exercise. Among the tasks several
concern the MacOS X port. (Eric Bachard is the author of the port).
He's on IRC too as eric2b on freenode.

The idea there would be to propose some tasks as part of an Haiku port.

It won't start before end of december anyway, but as we have R1/alpha
to look after it's fine. Still, I'll start browsing their wiki and
propose some stuff to do. First parts would be to set up the build
system, and port the OS abstractions (SAL), then the GUI one (VCL).

François.