[openbeos] Re: parallel driver

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:51:29 -0500 (EST)

> > There are a couple of these in progress (parallel ports).
> > I would have to see what Thomas is doing (I haven't looked) to see
> > how well the drives (Zip, etc) could/would work with this.
> Ok, let me know. If I understand correctly, the Zip // driver emulates SCSI
> through the // port. This way we should just use a standard scsi driver to

Which one? I thought that this was just in linux. I am guessing that the
windows driver does not do this. IMHO, the scsi emulation is just there to
save the zip driver writer work, and isn't necessarily necessary under
beos. Please correct me if this is wrong.

> control it if we forward the scsi commands from the scsi bus manager to
> the //
> port.

Do it if it will save work, and you feel the need to do that. In linux it
always felt like a lazy kludge to me. (I like linux, but I can be honest
about it's [few] shortcomings. :) )

Are you planning on just porting the linux driver over?

Keep up the good work. I'm impressed.

Fred