[openbeos] Re: package system (was: Re: clipboard, etc)

  • From: Jorge Salamero <526715@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:46:18 +0100

on Thursday 10 February 2005 16:44, Jonas Sundström wrote:
> A modern Unix system is pushing very large amounts of files. I hope
> we can find ways to keep Haiku from going to that extreme, or at least
> layer the filesystem in some way to have the system keep each set of
> files separate from the other sets. (Essentially not unpacking the
> packages.)

if you have a system to keep the system clean with uninstall scripts there's
no problem. you can have binaries in a path, libs in another and so on.
for the user any package must create an entry in the haiku menu. it's
transparent for the user.

you don't have to be root, we could use something like sudo, it lets you
customize privileges (allow only execute the package manger for a
determinated group).

always user installations would be possible under ~/config. should be an
option when you install a .pkg

also is important all apps to store config and tmp files in a determinated
path to change.

has haiku something similar to LSB (linux standard base) or LFH (linux file
hierarchy)?

--
Jorge Salamero Sanz aka "bencer"
mailto: 526715@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx