[haiku] Re: openzfs announcement

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:38:29 -0400

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Neil Munro <neilmunro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Speaking as a lurker, occasionally murmuring at various things, I'd rather
>> see the effort put into package management, multi-user support, Web Positive
>> work, and R1, you know, the basics done, before then by all means support as
>> many file systems as you like.
>
> I think most of the Haiku contributors who actually want to use Haiku
> as their main OS would completely agree with you, so don't worry.

There was a GSoC 2011 project to port ZFS to Haiku. Anybody who is
interested in openzfs should probably look at it.
https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/generalmaximus

> Though I think what will make sense for Haiku in the future when it
> comes to file systems is making BFS2, and borrowing the good ideas
> from other modern file systems, while still keeping the spirit of BeOS
> and Haiku that BFS represents.

Well... maybe.

There are surely a few annoyances and missing features (e.g. hard link
support) in the current BFS code that we'd like to correct in R2
making a BFS2 for that release but I wouldn't expect it to be a major
departure from where we're at now. It's probably not worth it, and not
advisable, to try and bolt ZFS's feature set onto BFS either.

A ZFS port is a probably a better way to go long term. From what I
understand from the FreeBSD port, adding ZFS filesystem support would
not be like adding another file system such as NTFS or FAT, it is
going to require a lot of infrastructure to be built to do error
reporting and recovery. It would almost certainly have to be something
that was agreed on and would need to draw on the support of the
existing developers to be done properly.

As far as priorities go, this is definitely an R2 feature, possibly R3
even, and certainly after improvements to the package management and
Web Positive from the perspective of Haiku, Inc. but, like was already
said, if somebody wants to work on this there is nothing to stop them,
and we wouldn't turn down working code.