[openbeos] Re: [ openbeos] Hello out there?

  • From: "Mccary Brady" <mccary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:46:04 -0000

Forwarded From: Mccary Brady <mccary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> name: brady mccary
> sf account: brady
>
> im a college student. im double majoring in math and computer science.
>
> previous programming experience:
> summer before last: programming internship at in-house it dept for tricon
> global restaurants. i wrote a large server component that accepted requests
> for geographic and positioning data, among other (less significant) things.
> written in visual basic for ms transaction server. the way i got the job was
> from my programming mentor. he told them i already knew how to program (and
> didnt), so the learning curve was quite steep, but very fun! heh ... you can
> knock the vb all you want - everybody starts somewhere, i suppose.
>
> last summer: internship again at tricon. this time, i wrote various data
> storing/displaying/manipulating libraries for their internally-developed
> store-managment system (called FMS - field managment system). these were
> written in c++/c/perl/sh and ksh shellscripts - and that is the order of how
> often each was used. these ran on sco unix 5 (or something) with skunkware.
>
> i also wrote a half-life server-manager in eiffel, but have since lots it
> (among other things) in a hd failure. it was basically just a text-parser,
but
> i made a really cool hierarchy of classes and it was designed to make it
easy
> for web statistics and such.
>
> and ive taken classes on programming, but those are by-and-large meaningless
> in comparison to experience so far. my algorithms analysis class is
enjoyable,
> but mainly a rehash of stuff i already learned from the art of computer
> programming v1-3 (a gift from my mentor).
>
> other (perhaps) notable experience:
> ive used lots of unices - sunos/solaris on my sparcstation 5, linux (many
> archs) started w/ rh b/c thats all i knew then slackware and now debian, sco
> (from tricon), qnx (if you count that).
>
> languages i know (no particular order):
> perl
> shellscript (many kinds)
> eiffel
> c/c++
> octave (matlab)
> java
> visual basic
> html and various extensions (css, javascript, etc.)
>
> but why do i want to join, you ask? well, i find that undergraduate life is,
> on the whole, a bore and i really want something cool and technical to do
with
> my time. ive been wanting to join a community programming project for a few
> months now, and i feel im ready to do so. also, i just installed beos and
its
> very neato :-). im impressed with the speed. cant get dhcp up though ...
note
> even with bone. quite sad. the last reason is b/c i want to get my name 'out
> there' for having done something impressive for resume-type purposes and
> graduate school (so you know that ill do my best on this stuff ;-).
>
> as far as what part id like to join/contribute:
> hmm ... of course, i want to do the 'cool' stuff (read: kernel and
> filesystem), but i think it would be best if i were to join the 'preference
> apps' and/or 'support kit', at least for now.
>
> let me know what you think, and if you have more questions.
>
> -brady mccary

this letter, followed by a 'umm ... hello?', was sent:
02/11/02 11:53 am   akavlie@xxxxxxxxx
02/18/02 10:57 am   akavlie@xxxxxxxxx
respectively.

my offer is still out there. ive been reading the list, and ive noticed
some ... shall i say ... restructuring going on, so im not too upset at the
response time (if, in fact actually sent the request to the correct email
address ;-).

let me know what you think.

cheers!

-brady mccary