[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V8 #114

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:08:35 +0200 CEST

> > > From what I've done on m68k I'd say it's not too hard as long as
> > > you
> > > target arm with mmu. mmu-less ones aren't worth it.
> >
> > Intriguing...

ARM920T for ex has one, 940 doesn't.
While it's possible to support mmu-less versions, in practice it'll be
much work for not much gained.
Linux doesn't run on those (only uCLinux), and I don't think WinCE
does.

Most user-interactive devices have one with an mmu anyway.

> > FYI: I know this area is interesting to ARM because I happen to
> > work for
> > them.  Having followed Haiku from the beginning and being a BeOS
> > user
> > before that it struck me that it's an ideal OS for such devices,
> > more so
> > than the likes of Linux.
>
> Concerning the "potential", maybe you're right. But I am afraid it
> will
> take more than just the port to the architecture, although that's a
> good
> start. ;-)

As was said, window manager, input methods, ... and layout will also be
optimized.

> > My opinion on the focus shift was that yes, it was a bad move but
> > they
> > really had no other choice.
> > At the time Be couldn't even *give* BeOS to PC vendors so they
> > jumped on
> > a potential market which never played out.
>
> The worst thing about it is that they managed to convince quite a few
> bigger application vendors to devote resources into ports and shortly
> before those where ready, here comes the Focus Shift. From what I
> understand, it wasn't just Nuendo.

That and the reduced number of players doesn't make it easy for them to
trust newcomers I suppose...

> > Anyway, I'm half considering doing the ARM port myself... I'll need
> > start reading up on the Haiku kernel, anyone got any pointers where
> > should start?
>
> Now *that's* the spirit! :-) I don't know if there is much material
> about
> the subject although some material may be at <www.haiku-os.org/documents>.
> > The code should hopefully be well structured and there are some
> people
> around with porting knowledge: Francois Revol is working on the M68K
> port
> right now (mmu_man in #haiku), Ingo Weinhold had worked on the PPC
> port at
> a time, Axel Dörfler of course and Travis (gheist), who wrote the
> NewOS
> kernel, is also pretty helpful and usually around in #haiku. The best
> approach may be to eventually get network booting going for short
> turn
> around times, if your device supports it. Axel and Ingo can probably
> help
> you best with that.

Ithamar is also interested in the port, he has many devices at work :)

I've looked into it, and I think the simplest option is to use a 2-
stage boot:
- have uboot ported to the platform (should be available already), with
added BFS support
- have initialize the hw and load zbeos, so zbeos doesn't have to
handle the myriad of hw combination, and can use uboot as a king of
BIOS
- then zbeos loads the kernel after initializing it mmu and other
stuff.

François.