[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V8 #104

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:41:20 -0400

François Revol wrote:
I think that would be interesting as well. Of course, I would also like to see Haiku and/or other operating systems support some of X's "exotic" capabilities as well. I love being able to ssh into a Linux box with X forwarding enabled, and being able to start apps there and have them accessible locally along with my other applications.

That can be done with Haiku as well. We should have a relatively working VNC server :) Btw, BeOS sources had support for a networked version of the app_server link protocol, but it wasn't enabled. I'm not sure it ever worked though. I believe many apps would have problems with that, as many just use BBitmap::Bits() without locking it, making it unaware of when changes happen (and so when it needs to be uploaded back).
(but that can be fixed when we have sources.

This is really good news if we're on the same page. Just to clarify, the X forwarding that I'm referring to isn't just about running VNC, it would be analogous to having the app_server on machine B managing and executing a program and all of the user interaction occurs on machine A, and for all intents and purpose the program looks as if it is running on machine A. You don't get a desktop in a window like with VNC or Window's Remote Desktop Connection, just the application's windows.

I sincerely hope that we are on the same page. :)
Raymond