[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V8 #104

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:48:35 +0200

François Revol wrote:
> > The feature is certainly very cool. I can even imaging a solution to
> > the
> > BBitmap shared memory problem. It's more a matter of what happens when
> > you
> > call DrawBitmap(). The BBitmap memory doesn't *have* to be shared with
> > the
> > app_server instance that draws it. On a local machine that is quicker
> > of
> > course, but it doesn't have to be that way, so apps would work
> > unmodified.
>
> No the current implementation *always* uses shared areas for BBitmaps, so
> AFAIK it doesn't check for changes.

I know. I meant to say it doesn't have to be that way, it can be
implemented in a way that works, even if that means sending the bitmap each
time on DrawBitmap(). Possible optimizations aside if apps indeed used APIs
that made it clear the bitmap contents changed...

> Still calling DrawBitmap a lot on a bitmap that doesn't change would be
> awful if you force sending it each time, it would void the purpose.

Sure it may be slow for these cases, especially for larger bitmaps, but it
can be made to work.

Best regards,
-Stephan