[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V8 #104

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:55:22 -0400

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is really good news if we're on the same page. Just to clarify, the X
> forwarding that I'm referring to isn't just about running VNC, it would be
> analogous to having the app_server on machine B managing and executing a
> program and all of the user interaction occurs on machine A, and for all
> intents and purpose the program looks as if it is running on machine A.

I could be wrong and feel free to correct me, but isn't this networked
nature of X part of the reason it can perform so poorly sometimes on a
local machine? In other words, I think it would be pretty important to
add something like this to Haiku without slowing it down too much
(preferably not at all.) If it can be done like that, I am all for it
and agree it would be cool and useful.

Given the nature of the app_server, I suspect it could be done fairly
easily, like François was saying. Applications would just need to make
sure they behave properly before being used on a networked app_server.

> You don't get a desktop in a window like with VNC or Window's Remote
> Desktop Connection, just the application's windows.

I am not a big fan of VNC myself (always feels a bit slow), but I have
always been pretty impressed with the Windows RDP stuff. In general I
am anti-Microsoft, but in this case they did a good job. If we could
borrow some of the ideas for that, it would be cool. Also as far as I
know it is possible to run RDP applications in an application window.

Ryan