[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V7 #140

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 19:14:46 +0800

Nicholas Blachford wrote:
I believe the reason is cost and possibly also support.
I was told some time ago by someone in the business that the FreeBSD base took up more room and that meant more Flash ROM, which meant more $$$ (ROMs use NOR flash which is a lot more expensive than the NAND flash you find in most flash media cards).

Another possible reason is there is now a lot of support for embedded Linux, there are specific embedded distros with special kernels etc. I'm not sure if anything like this exists for FreeBSD.

Actually, there's quite a few routers based on FreeBSD. Juniper's JunOS is a FreeBSD derivate, some (old?) versions of Nokia's "hardware" firewalls are running FreeBSD, there's M0n0wall and there are a couple of Israeli companies (who's names escape me at this moment) that also makes routers based on FreeBSD. There are more that I cant remember right now. And that's not counting anything using Net or OpenBSD.

Cisco IOS isn't a FreeBSD derivate though, it's an abomination all of it's own (well, stolen from Stanford U. but I digress...).

---
Lars Hansson