[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V5 #145

  • From: Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:11:14 +1000 (EST)

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
From the FSF FAQ

> "Whether it is compatible with the GNU GPL. (This means you can combine a
module which was released under that license with a GPL-covered module to make
one larger program.)"

> "X11 License: This is a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software
license, compatible with the GNU GPL. This license is sometimes called the
'MIT' license, but that term is misleading, since MIT has used many licenses
for software."

If you're worried, put it a seperate source repository of all GPL stuff that we
use until we get replacements. Have the jam files compile the code if it
exists. That way commercial ops don't have to worry about accidental pollution.

/
+--haiku (one repository)
|    +- src
+--haiku-gpl-extras (another)
     +-src

IMHO (Not a Lawyer)
Since the FSF has not sued anyone for binary linking to an OS in the many years
that they have known projects have, they have no legal standing to do it now.
Simplely they will have exceeded the statute of limitations.

http://haiku-os.org/

http://matgeekau.blogspot.com/
http://matgeekaupolitcial.blogspot.com/