[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V2 #26

  • From: "Jonathan Tarbox" <jtarbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:20:59 -0600

from the experience of an ex-Be support agent..

Apple PPC machines: booting an alt OS on these is a pain/annoying.  Why?
because you either have to boot via a mac os extension (which is how BeOS
did it) or take an extreme risk (least the last time I looked at it) of
messing with the code built into the rom of the machine.  How this would
apply to Mac OS X, or non-Apple PPC machine, I don't know.  Be never
supported em and I can't afford any of em.

BeBox: Ugh, you don't know the pains you are getting into.  A dual PPC 66 or
133, using 72pin EDO memory (standard PC memory from older Pentium
machines), a PowerPC based PCI bus, and a x86 based ISA bus.  How they got
it all to work, god knows, but it does work.  If you have a machine now,
pray the bootROM is a R3 or greater bootROM.  DR7-8 bootROMs use the old BFS
(yuk, don't ask) and won't boot anything current.  bootROM R3 should be able
to boot R5..  though supported hardware, replacement parts, and any kinda of
usefull speed will be a bit of a problem.. but they make for great serial
debug machines (four serial ports, so we had four PC's serial debug to one
BeBox.  Ah.. memories of the disco lab)

If anyone wants any other old version details or alt-platform details, let
me know.  I supported BeOS from R3 to R5 on Intel, PPC, and BeBox platforms.

-jtarbox