[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V2 #2

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:29:50 -0500

>> Not entirely true, as there was already talk (by GCC experts) about
>> recompiling everything with GCC, and creating a binary loader that
>> could handle the translation from GCC 2.x to GCC 3.x ABI :)
>
>Just out of curiousity, how difficult would it be to write a short app
>that pulls in an ELF file, reads the export/import tables, and
>translates them GCC 2 to GCC 3, then writes the corresponding ELF with
>the new ABI=3F Such a utility would be a lot more flexible than modifying
>the loader.
>-Nathan

I wouldn't want to try to write something like that. :-/
On top of which, really, what GCC3 offers is (mostly) speed.
Not that that is bad, or to be ignored.
But I think that is probably not something worth adding this much work over. :-/
When to switch to GCC3 is a good question. The way that I see it, we need to
wait and see how R1 and the community do. If the community suddenly swarms
and writes tons of good apps, we can switch right away. If not, we will need to
keep 2.95 compatability in some way longer. :-/