[openbeos] Re: openBeOS file permissions

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 04:33:32 +0100 CET

Hi William,

"William Beckett" <wbeckett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm a new to openBeOS with a background in
> assembler, basic, fortran, and C. I have spent
> most of my time on Unix platforms, with the
> support of various shells and processing tools
> like SED and AWK. I am in the process of
> getting an openBeOS system up on my
> Intel P4 box. I have one question; does

You are hopefully aware that an OpenBeOS "box" currently lets you do
some tiny commands in a simple shell, and nothing more at the time?
We are currently developing that beast, it's not yet really usable in
any way :-)
(but I promise this will change over time ;)

> openBeOS have Unix style file and directory
> permissions control? Mainly, I'm interested
> in keeping the owner of directory trees on a
> given platform in complete control over
> access to those structures. Unfortunately

It will implement the full set of POSIX permissions, in this regard, it
is very unix like.

> DOS has only a parody of the classic Unix
> file and directory permission design. Under DOS
> any user can change the file/directory attributes
> without any regard to orginal ownership. I am
> aware that openBeOS runs under Windows,
> hence the reason for my question. Also the
> recent explosion of spyware, Xupiter and other such
> legally intrusive internet agents preying on
> Windows platforms is fast reaching the epidemic
> stage.

OpenBeOS doesn't run under Windows. You can run it in VMware/VirtualPC/
Bochs under Windows, but that's it. You can also boot it from a floppy
as of now. In fact, it has nothing to do with Windows.

Adios...
   Axel.