[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:28:56 -0800

> >And it would also be nice if there are update plugins - for the most
> >part this would be one add-on which connects to something like BeBits;
> >but we shouldn't focus on this but should also provide a CVS add-on, or
> >application defined add-ons.
>
> I've stayed out of this discussion up til now, but I want to make a
> comment. Installers should have NOTHING to do with CVS. We will offer
> binary distros of OBOS in a friendly format. If someone *wants* to see
> the source code, then, yes, the CVS repos is there for anyone. But
> we're not Linux/Unix -- i.e. download the OS source code and compile it
> yourself. And end user should never even see the term CVS anywhere in
> an installation -- it's not a part of his universe.

I agree with Daniel that the user should *never* see the repository, but
I do like the idea of making the update mechanism pluggable -- one for
BeBits, one for BoostSignal, etc.  Each site can tailor the update
protocol to fit the way they work; all the updater does is ask the
plugin "do you have anything new for me?"