[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:32:19 -0800

Marcus Overhagen wrote:

> "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >>So... maybe a message like this will do: "You are about to
> >>delete a link to an application, which contains other files
> >>too. Do you want to delete the link or uninstall the
> >>application?
> >>
> >>[ Delete ]   [ Uninstall ]   [ Cancel ]
>
> >Hah, this sounds like the behavior of Windows ME / XP, which is pretty
> >good, IMHO. There just should be a checkbox for "stop nagging" or so :)
>
> This would also be acceptable, I think. Some way to configure the behaviour
> of deleting links.

I believe there is a strong liklihood with this scheme that granny will
*never* delete any of her links, out of fear that she might accidentally
delete an app.  The thought of piling this kind of thing on top of the
simple action of deleting a link makes me positively gag. =P  Brutally
honest, but true.

Much as I despise the one in Windows (primarily because it's so damn
sloooooooowwwww), I think an "Update & Uninstall Apps" preferences
applet is the way to go.  List all the OpenBeOSInstaller installed apps
there and granny can remove and update things with some degree of
confidence.