[openbeos] on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "John Gabriele" <jandl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:25:39 EST

Just looking for folks' opinions on the value of the "software
installer" for OpenBeOS.
 I've personally never had any use for an installer for BeOS. Never
learned how to use
SoftwareValet -- always seemed way too complicated. I much prefer
unzipping an archive
to where I want the app installed (for me, it's ~/apps_n_utils) and
then, if required, copy
a couple of shared libs to ~/config/lib.

I realize, of course, that OBOS will need at least some rudimentary
utility to install
pkg files (that is, if it achieves binary compatibility with BeOS R5
apps) -- I just don't dig
the full-blown SV.

I see how you need something like InstallShield for that other OS
because of the complexity
involved with [shudder, pause, wipe cold sweat from brow] ... the
registry. Or "package
management" on GNU-Linux because, well, for me, because I don't know
where anything
goes in that OS. But things are just so simple in Be/OBOS -- I can't
see it being too much to
ask a user to unzip a zip file and then copy a couple libraries. Oh,
and maybe also go
Be Menu --> Configure Be Menu to add the app's icon to the Menu.

Can't we assume OBOS users can handle this?