[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:11:58 +0100 (MET)

>I've stayed out of this discussion up til now, but I want to make a
>comment. Installers should have NOTHING to do with CVS. We will offer
>binary distros of OBOS in a friendly format. If someone *wants* to see
>the source code, then, yes, the CVS repos is there for anyone. But
>we're not Linux/Unix -- i.e. download the OS source code and compile
it
>yourself. And end user should never even see the term CVS anywhere in
>an installation -- it's not a part of his universe.

The user shouldn't see which method was used - he shouldn't even see
the package compiling (just an explanation because the installation
takes so much time).

E.g. you could have a "Advanced..." button in your installer where you
can checkmark "Download latest available alpha version", and the
installer chooses CVS then, or whatever - just what the install script
tells him.

It doesn't have to be CVS of course - that's just an example. What I
wanted to point out was the independence of the add-on.

Adios...
   Axel.